FIFA World Cup 2010

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Goku, May 20, 2010.

1. Goku

Goku Member

So who's your gold on?

Here are my semi-finalists:

- England
    - Ghana (if Essien plays) otherwise Brazil
    - Spain
    - Argentina

2. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

You think Ghana can make the semis? They have drawn a group with 3 teams all ranked higher than them.. Germany, Serbia and Australia. It's pretty hard to overlook Italy, they have a great draw. the USA is a bit of a dark horse for me, they have been known to surprise.

3. Goku

Goku Member

Yeh I guess they can...they have a strong squad and are amongst the top3 in Africa. although they're not ranked higher than the other teams in their group, I'm just going with my gut feeling that they would rise to the occassion.

I didn't overlook Italy...they had a dismal start in the last world cup, and I figure they wouldn't that lucky this time round!

4. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

Fair enough. I can't wait till it starts. I have 20 odd days to do as much study as i can because i know as soon as the world cup starts im not going to do jack sh*t.

5. Goku

Goku Member

guy, you're giving me worries now...I was planning on doing a normal routine of studying on my side!! Hopefully, work slows down enough so I can watch the footie, and do my studying :D

6. Goku

Goku Member

Looking forward to Bafana Bafana's match against Columbia tomorrow...they're a good South American team, so it should be a good indicator on how good our form is at the moment...just hope the coach play's Parker/Shabalala/Piieeeenaar all together...they need game time!

For England, do you guys still prefer Aaron to start ahead of Theo? Both are similar platers, but Theo has something special in him and could deliver in this world cup just like how another lil lad did so against Argentina a few world Cups ago...I wish he'd play alongside Rooney soon...could well be the next Owen ;)!

7. Goku

Goku Member

ah man...Theo's dropped...it's a sad day for England

8. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

He's had a pretty poor season for Arsenal by their standards and hasn't progressed in the last couple of years. Lennon and Milner on the other hand have been nothing short of brilliant. I think they deserved it over Wallcott.

Would have been nice to see Ashley Young instead of SWP.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  9. Goku

Goku Member

Yeh, all because of nagging injuries...he needs to be fit and firing for us next season...especially if Cesc and Andrei leave!

Milner has hada crazy season! Am not sure of Rooney though; he's looking beat...Fergie you t**t!!

10. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

Ah, have no fear, Wenger apparently has agreed a pre-contract deal with a couple of 6 month old's who are touted as the next Vieira and Henry respectively. Who needs Fabregas and Ashravin? Sources also say he's planning to reduce the average age of the Arsenal team to 13 by 2012 :p

Anywayz, the Rooney situation was a no brainer for Sir.Alex who cares two hoots about England. He had to play in the Munich match if we were to stand a chance and that has perhaps aggravated the problem. Not the ideal of situation but you should expect that from Sir.Alex :D

11. andy orodo

andy orodo Member

have to fancy brazil to win it, they were strong in qualifying. They now have Dunga in charge who believes in playing with a solid defence and a normal shape unlike some of the previous managers. If you look at the defenders they have (dani alves, maicon, lucio, thiago silva, marcello) they will be solid at the back and we all know what they can do going forward.

They also have little injury worries or worries about match fitness unlike Spain and England.

As a betting man France at 20-1 seems like a good outside bet. They always have the potential to get their act together when you have written them off.

Argentina are my tip to flop. Diego doesn't know what he's doing!

12. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

Ferdinand is out.

13. Goku

Goku Member

Was there at the Germany - Australia game...boy, did those Germans teach those "Socceroo's" a lesson in football! What I enjoyed most was the way Germany utilized the flanks, and the delivery of their crosses.

They play Serbia today, so a win should see them through into R16.Oh, and Ghana are so far living upto their potential...if they win today, then they'll also progress...

But, the big shock has to be France losing last night! I really expected this team to make the Quarter finals...but the controversial Domenech didn't fail to disappoint and frustrate yet again...take that for leaving Benzema out you muppet!

I was also there when Spain lost to the Swiss on 2 days ago...David Silva was utterly disappointing...what was he doing out there! Xavi had the best game out there and Jesus Navas when he came on later on...Cesc didn't even come on a sub...given that he's just come from a season scoring 19 and setting up 33 goals for Arsenal, I'd have put on Cesc when Iniesta came out...

England have an important game tonight...let's hope Capello drops that useless Heskey and brings on a better forward like Defoe anyone. And when we will he ever learn that playing Gerrard and Lampard in the centre means playing with 10 men, instead of 11! Gerrard should be more of the supporting striker, with Barry taking his place in the centre alongside Lampard...

Oh well, back to Prophet modelling...

14. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

Deplorable effort by Germany. Didn't even come CLOSE to cracking the Serbian defense, then they got handed a penalty failed big time. Very deserving of that loss. They have no chance of going anywhere in this tournament. They were made to look good in there first game by an opponent in poor form. Favourites my ass.

15. phantom

phantom Member

you sure you said that? :D

Lets see what happens to them against Argentina.. should probably be a cracking match..

16. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

I think Argentina should slice them, Germany have just had an easy run against poor opposition, England were shocking in their last match. 4-1 score lines should not exist in the round of 16 (but to be fair it should of been 4-2).

17. didster

didster Member

What about 4-0 score lines in the quarter finals :eek:

18. phantom

phantom Member

what do we make of this?

i. germany in fact could do the opposite and slice argentina
    ii. argentina were shocking, just as england was
    iii. germany's easy run against poor oppositions continued
    iv. even stronger than 4-1 scorelines could exist in even more advanced rounds

:confused: :confused: :confused:

19. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

So what did everyone think of the final? I thought it was sensational. It was not the most elegant match ever played but it had all the aggression and intensity of a world cup final. The team playing the cleaner football ended up winning, but it was a shame to see the game decided by a very soft goal deep into extra time. A shootout would have made for a more spectacular finish.