Few questions on CA2

Discussion in 'CA2' started by Viki2010, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

I think I just failed CA2 exam today. I have a few questions...

1. How often do exams change? Are you guaranteed a different exam when you sit CA2 for the second time?

2. Knowing that most likely I have failed, can I immediately register for a re-sit?

3. What's the best way of preparing for CA2? I would think that going through all the online assignments would be a good approach?

2. tiger

tiger Member

Did you get your result, or do you just think you failed?

I would guess you can reregister immediately, but you run the risk of losing (part of) your fee if you then pass and cancel!

I think now that the registration windows for the practicals each quarter are gone, plus with the online options it should be easier to register later.

I'm repeating CA2 in a couple of weeks.
    I did the exam counselling after I failed, and felt it has given me good pointers for my next attempt. In particular I focused too much on the model & not enough on the audit trail & summary.
    Definitely worth doing the online assignments if you haven't already.

I suspect even with an average model, with some severe limitations, you could still pass if the documentation side was good.

Good luck!

3. JayDee

JayDee Member

Why do you think you failed? As pointed by tiger its not so much about the values your model spits out. Its more about the quality of your audit trail and summary.

4. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

My results were wrong, the model was wrong. Other people seemed to be doing better.

Anyways, I have a couple of questions on the online vs. face-to-face exam.

When you are doing an online exam, how do examiners allow for the:

- possibility of you requesting the hint sheets, which are normally available during the face-to-face exam,

- how is the lunch brake factored in during the online exam?

5. JayDee

JayDee Member

Ok so I think your results can be wrong and you can still pass if you 'communicated' the model well.

Regarding the lunch break-in the online version its completely up to you. However you realise that it is imperative you take breaks or you burn out mentally.

As for the hints, I can't remember the exact marking but you do lose marks asking for help just like the regular version (it can't be different else there would be an arbitrage opportunity!). Having said that there are many other people and threads here who will vouch for the fact that it is totally worth it. At least I thought so.

6. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

During the exam "at the venue", it was mandatory to take a 30 mins lunch break. Are you saying that during the online version, I don't have to take 30 mins break? I can have snaks during the exam and I would gain 30 mins of time!

As for the hints, there were 2 sheets available (2 hints) for the cost of 1 point each. I wish I had taken it, because that would significantly increase my confidence with the calcualtions.

As for other "help", you could ask questions which would cost you up to 5 marks - the ability to work independently. Some questions would not cost you any marks though. I was wondering how is that taken care of in the online style of an exam. How can you ask questions, if you want to and how do you request the hint sheets?

7. DDDDD

DDDDD Member

Hi, I also have a question about doing the exam online.
    In a face to face situation I could ask the tutor if my model looks right, I would I be communicating with the tutor online? Would it be sending emails back and forth, so I would need to send the tutor my model to get an opinion?

Would I receive exam hint sheets and questions via emails also? I would like to book a company meeting room to do the exam as my company laptop has the latest excel, but worry about certain chat box etc might be blocked due to company policy.

8. Sarah Byrne

Sarah Byrne ActEd Tutor Staff Member