Facebook forums?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by John Lee, May 28, 2012.

1. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I'm thinking the idea of starting up a CT1 (to begin with) facebook forum group in parallel to these forums (though if I could get some way to link the two that would be fab).

Any thoughts from you fine students out there?

PS Thought about twitter but the 140 character limit would make it too constrictive.

2. econkong

econkong Member

I think that sounds good, not only we can still discuss about the course, we can also link the username to real peers :), only disadvance for me is i cannot log onto the facebook while working so can only check it after work...but love the idea:)

3. tiger

tiger Member

I don't see any advantages to this, what additional information/functions would be provided?
    For me, linking the user name to "real peers" would be a disadvantage :)
    (I have concerns over facebook's privacy policy).

If the plan is to move to a general platform, would linkedin be more approrpiate?

4. econkong

econkong Member

yea, i got the same query tho as in whether thats completely parallel or something different.
    Regarding the linkage, dont think we have to reveal the username on the facebook for ppl to figure out who you are in the forum(one definitely can if he/she wants):)

5. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

Won't we end up duplicating content/questions too?

6. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I wouldn't want to remove these forums because of issues raised by econkong and tiger. The purpose is to just widen the net to make help more accessible (as believe it or not some people don't like forums but will happily fb chat!).

Tiger I agree - the functionality of the forums is better than fb - but that may just be me not being very good at fb...:(

Good point also on privacy - hence the need to keep these forums (or create dummy accounts just for asking questions). Certainly some tutors were in favour of setting up "professional accounts" to keep things separate.

I confess I haven't investigated linked in groups - but certainly as I understand it there is far greater privacy there - I can investigate this. But the key is to try and link everything together to prevent tutors forgetting to check one of them or having to repeat the same answer twice, etc. But I confess I don't know how. I'm very open to any ideas or help!

If you have more ideas/thoughts do keep posting!

Last edited: May 30, 2012