Exemption from CT1,2,3,7,8 & ST0

Discussion in 'CT4' started by martinm.mugo, Feb 1, 2010.

1. martinm.mugo

martinm.mugo Member

......I qualify for exemptions in CT1, CT2, CT3, CT7, and CT8 & ST0. I need help to pass CT4, CT5 & CT6. For now, I am keen on passing CT4 but I would appreciate advice on CT5 & 6 as well. I have reviewed a few chapters of the CT4 material from acted but I am having trouble relating it. My plan is to sit for the CT4 exam in April 2010. Where should I start? The material is actually sounding like ‘rocket science’ at the moment. I have the FAC study pack, but it is not doing me much good. Will the Statistics pack from acted do me any good.

Would anyone recommend that I start with areas I am strong in e.g. ST5 and other investment related syllabuses that I think I can handle?

Please assist me. I have average skills in calculus and statistics but excellent in economics, accounting and investments/finance. I will take this advice very seriously.

2. capitalH

capitalH Member

Although there is no requirement to do the exams in order, I believe it is better to focus on the CT series before the CA & ST series.

Since you have ST0, I assume you are aiming for SA5 as well, if you are going to do ST5. If not you may want to consider doing the same ST as the SA you are doing.

I do not think doing any of the later series subjects will help to make the earlier subjects any easier.

3. bystander

bystander Member

I agree with CapitalH. Finish the CTs first - for no other reason that now there is the requirement that before entering say the communication paper you have all the CTs. And, strange as it sounds, CA3 has one of the worst pass rates out there.

If you are really struggling with CT4 then I think the best way is get some tutorials then you get some face to face help. It can also be helpful to see how others are finding topics...most probably you are not alone.

I'm not sure if there are any late starting regular tutorials available, but if not consider an early block course.

There are many other texts out there that may be able to help although naturally the exam relates to Acted material. So perhaps see if you can find a text book in a library that you can use as back-up?

4. martinm.mugo

martinm.mugo Member

@..capitalH
    Thanks a lot. You are correct on the SA subjects that I am aiming at. I consider my chances of passing CT4 quite narrow but I was hoping the investment exams might be bearable for me since I have taken what in my opinion is the most authoritative program as far as investments are concerned. Further, this is my area of practice. However, it must be said that practice is always narrower in scope compared to an exam syllabus.

@bystander
    Thanks for your suggestions. You appear to have a lot of faith in tutorials, is this from experience? I will consider this option especially for all the CT exams. I will try push harder and see if my general assessment of the subject improves. I will also check out the tutorials...face to face may be too expensive but it might be worth it if this is what it takes to pass.

Guys - thanks for all your advice. I feel like I have a few options now.

5. bystander

bystander Member

The CT tutorials are best only if you have problem areas. In later subjects where things become subjective, that's when they really come into their own as its as much about judgment and application rather than memorised technique application

6. John Potter

John Potter ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I'm bound to (as my livelihood depends on it!) but I disagree with the last comment about CT tutorials only being useful if you have problem areas.

Even if you're brilliant at the subject....

1) It's extremely unlikely that you will be an expert on EVERYTHING covered in a tutorial - you're bound to find something useful
    2) People can be overconfident and not realise what they're problem areas are
    3) It allows you to consolidate where you are, increase confidence and see the course more as a whole perhaps
    4) Tutorials force you to work solidly for 7 hours rather than watch Diagnosis Murder & Countdown!

Put it this way, if I had to sit the CT8 exam (been teaching the subject for 8 years), I would still go on one of my colleagues tutorials to see their take on it,

John