Excel proficiency level as an Analyst ?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by bpatel28, Feb 20, 2015.

1. bpatel28

bpatel28 Member

Hi,

I will be starting as an Actuarial Analyst at Barnett Waddingham, I would like to say my excel skills are intermediate in the sense that I can confidently use V-lookups, Pivot Tables, Sort, Conditional Formatting, use of logical functions (IF, SUM IF, COUNTIF), aswell using Financial Formulas (NPV, IRR), and statistcal based ones.

Apart from what I've mentioned above, is there anything a trainee actuary / actuarial analyst would use on a regular basis which I haven't mentioned

2. LastHurdles

LastHurdles Member

HLookups, Match, Indirect, Named ranges are some additional ones....

but to be honest i would not worry at all about this because you will learn very quickly on the job as you will almost certainly spend most of your time using Excel!

And you know more than what i knew when i first started work. (I only knew how to draw some basic graphs which was needed for a GCSE project that i had done 5 years prior to starting my job!)

3. bystander

bystander Member

A knowledge of VBA can be helpful;. But as stated above, you have a really good base to start off from. They have found you worthy of a job offer, so relax. Firms like these have excellent development programs and I'm sure others in the office will be able to offer some on the job support. Don't be afraid to ask! Enjoy your new role.

4. bystander

bystander Member

And by the way, offices tend to have house styles and you will quickly pick these up too.

5. bpatel28

bpatel28 Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Also I will be working in trustee consulting, so would you recommend any particular readings i should subscribe to ? that will be keep me updated about pension industry..