1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Excel Challenge #8

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Steve Hales, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Steve Hales

Steve Hales ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Got Excel skills? Let's see.

Hoping that this one is a little more doable :)

Here are the usual rules.
    • Create a single Excel formula to solve the stated problem.
    • The shortest formula wins (when calculating the length of the formula there's no need to include the leading "=", or the curly braces that Excel uses to represent array formulae).
    • The formula's number format can be set to whatever you want.
    • Conditional formatting is not allowed.
    Problem #8

Assume that cell A1 contains a positive integer value. Create a single formula to determine whether or not the value in A1 is prime. The output should be either TRUE or FALSE. For example

A1
    2 --> TRUE
    16 --> FALSE
    17 --> TRUE
    120 --> FALSE
    1024 --> FALSE
    472882049 --> TRUE
    982451652 --> FALSE
    982451653 --> TRUE
    982451654 --> FALSE

2. tiger

tiger Ton up Member

=SUM(((A1/ROW(A:A))=INT(A1/ROW(A:A)))+0)=2
    enter as an array function

"A prime number (or a prime) is a natural number greater than 1 that has no positive divisors other than 1 and itself."
    i.e. only 2 divisors.
    Gives FALSE for 1
    only works up to no. of rows in excel so fails for the larger examples.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  3. tiger

tiger Ton up Member

version 2.
    other than itself, the next largest divisor is <= SQRT(A1) so

=AND(A1>1,SUM(((A1/ROW(OFFSET(A1,0,0,SQRT(A1))))=INT(A1/ROW(OFFSET(A1,0,0,SQRT(A1)))))+0)=1)

again, as an array function.

4. Hemant Rupani

Hemant Rupani Senior Member

Code:
    =SUM(1*(MOD(A1,ROW(OFFSET(A1,,,SUM(A1))))=0))=2
    46:cool:

Reference: Prime number has two 0 remainders while dividing the number by all numbers in between [1,the number]...(we know :D )
    while composite number has more or less.

5. Steve Hales

That's great, but what about the big numbers?

6. Hemant Rupani

unfortunately, Excel has limitation of Rows :(

even if I post formula that check division by all numbers upto SQRT, we can check for A1<(2^20+1)^2
    I gotta find another way. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  7. Steve Hales

I think that should be "^2" rather than "^0.5" (and I'm not sure about the "+1" either :) ). Either way we could check for values A1 < 1,099,511,627,776. Now this is about 10^12, and Excel only displays number with up to 15 digits of precision - after that it will use trailing zeroes in which case it won't think there are more primes :D . It might possible to use the Sieve of Eratosthenes to boost the search from 10^12 to 10^15.

This leads to an interesting question; what is the largest prime number Excel can display?

8. Hemant Rupani

ohhh yes! that's ^2, I edit it.
    Actually Excel 2007 and later has 2^20 Rows, so if we use SQRT, we check upto 2^20 length(not 2^20+1).... that's why I thought A1 should be less then (2^20+1)^2, I checked too.;)
    I would have submitted my formula with SQRT, but MOD function has limitation as ('divisor' * 2^27) should be more than the 'number'...

But I can't get how Sieve of Eratosthenes boosts the search from 10^12 to 10^15?

now, for the next Q, do you challenging us for formula for that or just a number:107928278317(I just searched list of 12-digit prime number on the internet :p )

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  9. Steve Hales

You're current submission looks like

Code:
    =SUM(1*(MOD(A1,ROW(OFFSET(A1,,,SUM(A1))))=0))=2
    By changing the SUM to SQRT would give a substantial increase (assuming that the "=2" goes to "=1" as well). This leave

Code:
    =SUM(1*(MOD(A1,ROW(OFFSET(A1,,,SQRT(A1))))=0))=1
    This checks every number between 1 and SQRT(A1) for a potential factor, but we know that once "2" has been checked then all other even numbers can be ignored. Something like this might work;

Code:
    =SUM(1*(MOD(A1,1+2*ROW(OFFSET(A1,,,SQRT(A1)/2)))=0))=1
    This checks odd numbers between 3 and SQRT(A1), but the OFFSET function can now handle twice as many rows. Would this double the searching power? If so, then a similar process might be implemented for multiples of 3, 5, 7 and 11. I think that this would boost the search sufficiently well to reach 15 digits.

10. Steve Hales

Here are a couple of implementations of the Sieve of Eratosthenes:

Based on primes 2 and 3
    Code:
    =PRODUCT(--({2,3}*INT(A1/({2,3}))<>A1))*PRODUCT(--(MOD((A1/({1,5}+2*3*ROW(OFFSET(A$1,,,SQRT(A1)/2/3)))),1)<>0))=1
    Based on primes 2, 3 and 5
    Code:
    =PRODUCT(--({2,3,5}*INT(A1/({2,3,5}))<>A1))*PRODUCT(--(MOD((A1/({1,7,11,13,17,19,23,29}+2*3*5*ROW(OFFSET(A$1,,,SQRT(A1)/2/3/5)))),1)<>0))=1
    By extending this to include primes 2, 3, 5, 7 and 11 then Excel can verify that 999,999,999,999,989 is prime, and therefore the largest that it can represent. The formula is pretty long (1,650 characters) because it needs to include the list of primes less that 2*3*5*7*11=2,310.

Watch out for the 2-dimensional array formula here - I don't think it's been used in the Challenges before and could be useful in the future :)

11. Steve Hales

Watch out for Excel Challenge #9 - launching Friday 9th October 2015.