Exam timings/reading time

Discussion in 'CP3' started by Albaluna, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Albaluna

Albaluna Member

Hello

Is there 15 minutes reading time for this exam, or is it the 3 hours from 2pm?

Also, do we need to upload our script before 5pm? For CA2 I uploaded my script before the exam finish time, thinking this was a requirement, only to find out afterwards there was 10 minutes at the end to do this :) (as long as the document hadn't been modified after the end of the exam time).

Thanks

2. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi

No reading time (you have already had the pre-reading and weekend to think about it).

While there may be a window for uploading at the end, I would do it within the 3-hr time limit unless otherwise explicitly advised (as is the case in CA2)

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

Does anyone know where the catch is in being given the material 3 days before?

4. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

:) There is no catch!

5. Edwin

Edwin Member

Sounds too doable!

6. Muppet

Muppet Member

it's only the material, not the question. It should be doable - we hope!

7. Maxit

Maxit Member

The exam instructions email sent out on 18 Sept said:

The exam scenario paper will be available to download at 10.00 (UK Time) on 22 September 2017. Your exam times are: start 14.00 (UK Time) and finish 17.00 (UK Time). You will have 5 additional minutes at the end of your exam to upload your submission.

8. Edwin

Edwin Member

I'm sure competition is going to be very high. Better score high! With three full hours to produce one document and having received data on Friday pass mark will be 90%

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2017
  9. Maxit

Maxit Member

I doubt that Edwin.

While some background reading will be provided in advance, there will be extra reading the day of the exam as well.

Looking at the sample CP3 paper, the advance material ends on page 8, but there is an additional 5 pages of reading in the question paper.

10. FloWesh

FloWesh Member

I have spent many a sleepless nights wondering about this as well. Especially considering in the old CA3 exam we were given all the material at the actual exam time and had to assimilate all of it and write a report/paper/email etc in just 1hr 15 mins.

11. Maxit

Maxit Member

Flowesh that is probably because CA3 used most of the information provided in the question, whereas CP3 will provide a lot more reading material, where the solution will only use a proportion of it. So there's going to be a lot more sifting and thinking involved.

The additional time also allows for the extra questions on the student's conscious decisions during the exams. These were not part of CA3.

12. Pede

Pede Member

Actually, FloWesh, CA3 was 1 hr 45 mins. And the word count was usually around 500. This one should be considerably more word count (800-900?), and more info to digest by the sounds of it, hence the 3 hour exam time. Less time pressure overall, I feel.

13. Tarbuck

Tarbuck Member

If they're judging people by their own standards I think it will be closer to 100% pass rate. Maybe if somebody goes to sit down to write the paper, trips and headbutts the keyboard, then accidentally puts their hand on the mouse and clicks submit when trying to get up...then we might have a borderline case where they'll need to bring in a third marker.

Over 4 hours now, no clarification and no response to my e-mail of when it may come. Going home now to try and salvage something for SA3 from another wasted day.

14. Gavin Kelly

Gavin Kelly Member

What did you email about?

15. almost_there

almost_there Member

Not looked at it yet but had a few emails already about people spotting errors in the reading materials? It's not really for students to provide quality control.

16. 4 versions of the initial data is not promising - lets hope someone proof reads the actual question before it is issued

17. Maxit

Maxit Member

True. At they end it just felt like they gave up with the statement that any reasonable interpretation will be accepted.

If they don't even read the exam material properly before issuing it to over 800 students, it seriously makes me question how well they read solutions at the time of marking.

almost_there likes this.
  18. Edwin

Edwin Member

I don't seem to be bothered...as long as I can pass. The problem they did was because this is the first time, they took input from everyone and some people told them to change net premium to gross they did then they saw they shouldn't listen to students if there is an error it will be picked up. Not for everyone to suggest a tweak to the question.

I hope I pass!

19. almost_there

almost_there Member

The latest communication I've had is this on 16:58 on 22nd, with a matching email 23rd at 11.21am in the app:
    I downloaded the document today (24th) but it still says Gross earned premium.

Also I've had to send them a query earlier regarding another ratio.

Well I've read that and can't see how errors in their pre-reading would fit the criteria for mitigating circumstances unless it lead to some awful tragedy, for which the IFoA would take zero responsibility for.

Therefore I am not reassured at all by that sentence. Nor am I reassured by the other sentences that in essence say "It doesn't matter, we're marking you on your communication". It does matter I'm afraid.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2017
  20. Tarbuck

Tarbuck Member

I have no idea how the exam answer I produce today will shape up against their mark scheme, but I am 100% confident before even sitting it that it will have less large omissions, errors or oversights than the series of communications I have had over the last few weeks regarding CP3 that they've had months to prepare. Oh well. Good luck everyone, see you on the other side.

21. Albaluna

Albaluna Member

Has anyone else had upload issues this evening? I tried to upload a minute or two after 17.00.

Tried to call the Oxford and London offices but it hangs up after a few rings - the lines must be too busy.

I've emailed the Word document to the online exams team and pointed out that the save time is before 17.00. I hope this is sufficient - has anyone else had experience of this in other online exams?

It would be nice to have my mind put at rest before I sit ST5 tomorrow morning!