Exam Technique

Discussion in 'SP1' started by bryce, Feb 17, 2014.

1. bryce

bryce Member

Hi
    I'm told that the points per marl are a little different between CA1 and the ST series (I also noticed as I have been getting 1/4 marks for the assignments). Can someone let me know what the 'rule of thumb' is? e.g. CA1 was 2 per mark and generally a few more for good measure.

Also, can someone remind me how the key question words are interpreted again? e.g. "Describe" = give the definition and then an example, "Explain" = give the general definition, then the specific definition then some examples.

Can you help for the below word list please?
    - Suggest = ?
    - Explain = give the general definition, then the specific definition then some examples
    - Describe = give the definition and then an example
    - Outline =
    - Discuss = pro's / cons, advantages / disadvantages
    - state = ? / definition?
    - list = bullet points
    - Determine = step by step description
    - derive = same as description
    - how = step-by-step instructions
    - why = ?

thanks very much everyone!
    Bryce

2. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

All these and many similar questions are covered in the Exam Skills webinar that I'm running next Tuesday, if you're interested!

There are still places available....

3. Sarah Byrne

Sarah Byrne ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Bryce

Further to Ian's suggestion, I wanted to add a couple of ST1-specific points.

Most of the instruction words are common between CA1/STs and you should treat them in the same way. "Suggest" is a bit more ST1-specific and implies that a range of different ideas need to be discussed (so breadth rather than depth).

In ST1 you might be given 1/4 marks for straightforward lists such as ratings factors or items on a proposal form. Most "ideas" are given 1/2 marks on the marking scheme. Unless it is a bookwork question there will be more marks available than you need to score 100%.

As well as the exam skills webinar, you might find that the ASET is also useful for helping you understand what questions are asking for (there are lots of exam technique tips to help with exactly this type of thing).

Sarah

4. bryce

bryce Member

thanks Sarah and Ian. I've done the Exam Skills webinar a couple of years ago and from memory it was a little 'grey' with contradicting advice or sometime adice thats just a bit basic (sorry!).

For example, a marker of the assignments i'm doing has said that exam technique to ST1 is very different to CA1 whereas you've just said that they are quite similar.

I'll just do the best i can with what ASET and other materials have to offer. Just a bit older and a little more jaded :p

5. Sarah Byrne

Sarah Byrne ActEd Tutor Staff Member

CA1 and ST1 are very similar in terms of exam technique and mark allocation (apart from the couple of things mentioned in my earlier post). Obviously ST1 is testing healthcare knowledge so your answers need to be more specifically addressing this. So the points you will make in your answer will be quite different. But the techniques you developed in CA1 for generating ideas and the way you approach questions should still be useful in ST1. If you're getting a different view from a marker please could you send details of this through to st1@bpp.com so we can investigate?

Sorry to hear that you found the exam skills webinar to be 'grey'. It has been attended and vetted by the Profession as being accurate in terms of its messages and hopefully some of this was useful to you. If you've got any other ideas for improvements please do let us know :)