Exam Technique

Discussion in 'SP2' started by andy orodo, May 6, 2010.

1. andy orodo

andy orodo Member

Could somebody tell me if there is much of a difference between the answer style expected for ST2 compared to CA1? Is it true that each point will need elaborated on a little more? Do you get extra half/quarter marks for putting in an example to compliment your point? Any tips as for how to improve my exam technique for ST2 would be much appreciated

2. Though I'm an acted tutor I've never studied CA1 myself so am not best placed to comment on CA1. Perhaps someone with direct CA1 experience could comment?

For ST2 If you work on the basis of half a mark per point, whatever the point, then you can't go far wrong, though items in a list may be worth less.

Questions in ST2 are generally focused on specific circumstances, rather than general principles. So, illustrating your answers with examples is not much of an issue in ST2, because you have the specific example given to you which you should use in your answer. I guess this might be an important difference from CA1 - you must always make sure an ST2 answer is clearly focused on dealing with the particular circumstances given to you in the question. So dumping lists of points that you have learnt about, say, reinsurance, is usually not enough - you must make sure the points you make are relevant to the question, and make sure you show (or explain) how or why those points are relevant.

Questions still vary in this respect - depends on the instruction (describe, discuss, state, etc) as usual.

Best thing is to get stuck in and have a go at some questions, and as soon as possible! Good luck!