Exam Technique

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by lk1988, Sep 3, 2016.

1. lk1988

lk1988 Keen member

Hi everyone,

I passed the earlier exams relatively quickly but I've struggled a little with the later exams (passed the CTs in two years but then not passed anything for the last 2 years).

I've had some exam counselling and the comments indicated that the reason I failed was due to exam technique and generating ideas.

Personally, I find this the hardest area to improve. If I had failed due to lack of understanding/knowledge then I could do more work, put more effort in etc.

I've had a few mocks marked (both by acted and by people in the office) and the feedback never points in the same direction. Sometimes answers are too short, sometimes they are too long etc. I don't really know what's 'right' any more!!

Aside from getting more stuff marked, I'm really at a loss of how to progress. So I was wondering, how did you work on your exam technique? Anyone got any tips and tricks?

2. MHKKHM

MHKKHM Member

hey,
    Could you please elaborate your study plan for Ct series.
    and how the technique used now is different from this now

3. bystander

bystander Member

Practise and feedback are important but something as simple as attitude on the day helps. Resits come with a fear like here we go again. If you are uptight, the brain is restricted. So, deep breath, here we go and I can think and triumph is better. So back to other technique. You say feedback varies. But does is? Is there a correlation in some way eg by number of marks available, or instruction word. By this I mean is it describe, state, show etc. this may sound silly but how do you read the question? Slowly, only once etc. take your time over this bit and notice key words. These are the instruction word and details of the scenario. Use the details they are given for a reason. If you have mnemonics by topic as revision, go through it mentally and pick out relevant bits and structure your answer. If you jump around ideas this may mean you miss any expansion points needed. You are doing the right thing. Practise and feedback. After feedback, read solutions and think why didn't I put that, why was it important in the question? And conversely why didn't this score? That too can help you home in on what you need to do. Victory will come and will be sweet.

shdh, Hemant Rupani and MHKKHM like this.
  4. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I teach CA1 and sometimes the same question is asked in different years for different number of marks - so this may be the issue on not getting the right number of points. Typically, it's about 1/2 mark per point so you could work from that.

Also for CA1 a lot of the points generated are from the question's key words rather than core reading - so that's the technique I teach in my tutorials as I knew the Core Reading but failed first time as I wasn't able to apply it to a question.

ALEX_AK and Hemant Rupani like this.
  5. Steve85

Steve85 Member

I've found the pees pakura acronym quite useful to think of different areas to expand on (see below).

I'm struggling with stating the obvious type points, where I constantly miss out on. Sometimes I fear wasting time if it's not on the schedule, other times I just can't see it (although I'm implicitly saying it!) any ideas on drawing out obvious points would be appreciated!

Practical issues
    Examples
    Extremes
    Specifics to U.K.

Pros/cons
    Alternatives
    Knock on effects
    Uses
    Reasons
    ACC

ALEX_AK likes this.