Exam Results May 13-India

Discussion in 'India' started by vikky, Aug 2, 2013.

1. vikky

vikky Ton up Member

Does anyone know when are they planning on publishing the results?Its already well over 2 months and last date for overseas candidates to apply for IOA UK exams is 5th August 13!!!!!!!!

2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

There's a lot of talk about this - they originally said 31 July/1 Aug but then this has shifted to this week - and there are many students who are in the same situation as you... :(

3. bharasri.ibm

bharasri.ibm Member

Yeah. Its strange that they have still not announced the results date. It usually comes in 60-65 days. Lets hope it comes out in a day or two.

4. bharasri.ibm

bharasri.ibm Member

Am waiting so eagerly for the results. Gave my first actuarial paper - CT7 and did not do too well. Still having a ray of hope and keeping my fingers crossed :)

5. HARDIK

HARDIK Member

Even I am amazed at this sorry state of affairs.
    What is most surprising that actuarial papers are not some common exams which are given by students in huge numbers still there is a dilatory approach by the institute.This diet was my first that I have ever given so i am not aware that is this a rare situation or normally results take this much time.!!!!!!!
    Also since the passing criteria is an enigma one can never be sure of the results......so one can never go for next papers until the result is published.!!

6. bharasri.ibm

bharasri.ibm Member

With due respect to IAI and even though we do understand the constraints under which they operate (in terms of how difficult it is to retain quality examiners and since most of them operate voluntarily), I believe they need to fix a couple of issues relating to examinations.

1. Give the result announcement date in advance and making sure they stick to it so that students can plan their studies properly.
    2. Ensure that question papers are set in accordance with the syllabus.

I gave the CT7 paper this May and there were a few questions which were on topics not to be found anywhere in the Core Reading nor the ActEd notes. I believe that this is not fair because it gives an unfair advantage to people who have studied the concerned subjects during their graduation. The Actuarial course is designed to be studied and cleared by students irrespective of what background they come from. I am not protesting against tough questions, but the questions ought to be from within the topics mentioned in the syallabus. For Ex: there were questions on Budget constraint equation and a couple of others (which I dont remember now) which are definitely out of syallabus.

Not sure how many of you agree with me.

7. vikky

vikky Ton up Member

There are a lot of things that need attention..However what puzzles me is you dont get any reply when you try and inquire when are the results coming out!!!!
    I do understand there can be delays but it will be such a big help if something is put up on the website..
    I have already missed my chance of appearing for any examinations from the UK institute as the last date for applying for overseas candidates was the 5th of August 2013.

Bharasri-Dont want to scare you but I have been told that people who have passed their CT series examinations are paper markers for CT series papers in India!!!!In all probability your paper maybe checked by someone who is not a qualified actuary!!!!

:( :( :( :(

8. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

It's one thing to be upset and another thing to be ranting out wild theories. The papers are marked by actuaries - under the supervision of a IOA nominated actuary. Let's be professional and keep calm before degrading the body, shall we?

9. bharasri.ibm

bharasri.ibm Member

I am not going to comment on who actually evaluates the answer scripts since I frankly dont have any idea about it. However I am sure most of you agree that a date can be provided for the announcement of results and also confining exam questions to the stated syllabus. Not sticking to the syllabus defeats the whole purpose of publishing the syllabus. They could rather state that the student will be examined on any topic which falls under, say, economics.

10. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

I am as p*ssed off as you are at the insititute and its bureaucracy - I'm not denying that. I'm waiting for the results myself. At the same time, suggesting lack of professionalism from them by insisting random evaluation of question papers simply to create panic isn't exactly right - that was my point.

11. HARDIK

HARDIK Member

Even I am of the view that the result date should be announced before hand.
    It helps a student to plan better which is necessary looking into the fact that these are some seriously tough exams.I think all the students will agree that the lack of information provided by the institute is a bigger problem than the toughness of the paper.
    First I thought that i will go all out for actuarial studies after my graduation but after my 1st set of papers I have decided that placing all the bets on the actuarial course can be a bit risky....!!!:rolleyes:
    You need to have a plan B..!!!

12. bharasri.ibm

bharasri.ibm Member

I still hold this profession in high honour since my grandfather was one of the earliest actuaries in India and he passed out sometime in the 1940s. I kinda view it with a lot of respect and do understand some of their challenges. But with times, things need to change and some of the changes are not too difficult to implement if everyone works with dedication towards achieving the goal.

I agree with you Hardik that having a Plan B is absolutely important with respect to Actuarial studies. I for one, have been in the IT field for the past 7 years and am working slowly on the Actuarial papers as I want to clear them to make my grandma and my father happy (since they desired someone from my family should study the course :) ) :D

13. vikky

vikky Ton up Member

Oxymoron..Apologies if what I said upset you..The intention is not to create animosity but to highlight areas of concern...I also hold the Institute in the highest esteem and want to see it move from strength to strength..This is something which can be put to representative members at public gatherings and see what they have to say on this matter..All the best for your results..Cheers

14. bapan

bapan Ton up Member

Results are out !!

15. Neisphuan

Neisphuan Member

cleared ct-3 and ct-7...dont know how i cleared ct-7 !!