Exam questions

Discussion in 'SA4' started by Bliss, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Bliss

Bliss Member

Please can someone provide a simple explanation over the length of an answer given the command word in the question?

E.G. For list question - 3 or 4 words per point, probably 1/4 mark per point.

In particular I am after explanation over - DESCRIBE, DISCUSS, OUTLINE.

Will outline mean if 10 mark question, probably 20 points to make, whereas in discuss it would be 10 points but each point need depth (approx 4 points under each)

2. Gresham Arnold

Gresham Arnold ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Bliss

My understanding is that the Examiners work on the basis of 1/2 a mark for each simple statement/point/bit of description.

So, if I were asked to:

List: I'd produce a series of bullets, each stating a fact/point (ie just a few words for each). I'd expect to get 1/2 mark for each bullet.

Describe or outline: I'd produce a series of bullets. Each would contain a simple statement and a short description/explanation/example (so they would be longer than "list" bullets). I'd hope to get a whole mark for each of the important bullets and perhaps just half a mark for some of the more minor bullets.

So in an outline question, if I could come up with 20 bullets that's great. But maybe I would need fewer than that in order to get full marks (assuming they all got credit).

Discuss: similar approach to describe or outline, but I would ensure I covered advantages and disadvantages as well as more general points.

Explain: this is an instruction to go into detail on the issues. Rather than writing long paragraphs though, I would break those paragraphs into a series of bullets, grouped under some headings (much easier for a marker to mark this than a large solid block of text). Again, I'd work on the basis of 1/2mark for each simple statement.

Obviously, I'm assuming here that everything I write gets credit. In practice, only points that are sufficiently important/relevant will get credit.

Generally in SA4 it is important that your answers have both breadth and depth. So I would want to cover a broad range of ideas and go into most detail on the issues that are most important. This is just good business practice and generally applies whatever the command word

So, for example, in an outline question, I'd perhaps write more points on the most important issues - so my answer would cover a broad range of ideas, with most depth/detail on the most important issues.

Hope this helps.

3. Bliss

Bliss Member

Thank you that's exactly what I was after!