Exam help?

Discussion in 'CT2' started by Miss Chatterbox, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Hi. I'm pretty new to these exams and just have a couple of questions regarding the wordy questions.

1) If a question is worth 4 marks for example, do you ssume you need to make 4 points or 8 (since quite a few of the points are only worth 1/2 a mark each)?

2) If a particular point that you make is perfectly relevent but doesn't appear on the actual solutions, would you get any marks?

Any help would be great. Thanks

2. King

King Member

2 distinct points to a mark seems to be a rule-of-thumb.

Yeah, if your answer is relevant and follows from the question it would attract credit, but be careful not to miss out on the obvious points.

3. Monkey_Mike

Monkey_Mike Member

Hiya,

I did CT2 last sitting...

With the short questions, I just wrote as much as I could about the question, If i knew more than 4 points, id write them, usually mark schemes will have 6 or 7 points of which any 4 will get marks... as well as any other relevant points raised... just show you understand what its asking..

for example, explain what is meant by an associate company...

A plc, is an associate of H plc, if Hplc has a significant control over Aplc, this can be through either approx 25% of the shares, or having around 1/3 of members on the board of directors of A. If H holds more than 50% of the shares, or 2/3rds of board memebers Aplc would be known as a subsiduary. A holding of around 10% or less, Aplc would be known as a minority interest of Hplc

something along those lines... so saying what would make it NOT an associate company, would show you understand... im not 100% sure if my answer above is "technically" correct, so no picking holes you people... its been a few months since i passed CT2, and ive slept since then!!

4. bystander

bystander Member

I'd caution against writing all you know. Seems to me the suggestion above goes way beyond the question.

The trick to me is sticking to the question and moving on. Pick up the points with minimal words - a points hoover!

Look at solutions on past papers to guide you. You will see things like 1/2 mark per point max 4 for example.

Writing too much costs time which is precious enough. If you get on the borderline, you may be considered as scattergunning and it may cost you a FA cf a pass.

Hard call.

5. Monkey_Mike

Monkey_Mike Member

Its not too time consuming for the exam to write an answer like that.

I had plenty of time left in the exam, I can see the point from scattergunning, but its only extending the parts revelant.. I think I got someting similar for a 5 mark question, just writing at least 25% holding, would not cut it, what if they have more? what does that make them?, what if less? I just covered each possibility..

6. bystander

bystander Member

I think we are in agreement. The level of depth has to be a function of available marks.

If you are taking marking, or decide to do a mock with marking, hopefully this will bring out whether your approach is right. Better to find out that way than end up with the infuriating FA.