Exam appeal

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Rahul-Ahuja, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Rahul-Ahuja

Rahul-Ahuja Member

Hey guys,
    I registered for CT3 and CT5 in this april session. However I sat for CT3 only. Shockingly I failed CT3! :s Despite my ct3 paper went well. Did my absence in ct5 exam resulted in a fail in ct3? I was not prepared for ct5 at all.
    Can there be any typographical error in the april exams passing lists? Maybe they forgot to mention my name. Just wondering.
    When will they will publish the examiner reports?
    When will they tell us our failing grades?
    Should I appeal for my exam to be looked into it again?
    My ct1 and ct4 exams went horrible yet i passed inthe previous sittings. Weird.
    I have done lots of stats in my uni in fact more than ct3.
    I don't get it.
    What should I do?
    Help!
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Disclaimer: I'm speaking for the UK exams but I assume the same process occurs elsewhere.

It is unlikely to be a mistake in the marking process as scripts are double blind marked (and triple marked for borderline scripts).

However, there was a case a couple of years back where the copied figures for the spreadsheet had got out of sync but this is extremely rare.

In the UK students receive their letter in the post with your grades on pretty soon after the pass lists (usually the day after).

I'm not quite sure of the appeals process - best bet is to contact your Profession directly. Please be aware that there will probably be a fee for this which I would expect to be refunded if it were found in your favour.

3. mattt78

mattt78 Member

appealing results

I looked in to this a couple of years ago, but decided against as it seemed highly unlikely you'd get a grade changed. I read somewhere that only 5% or 10% of appeals are successful in getting the grade changed - not suprising since papers are marked at least double blind. (However, if you get an FA, that means you were within 3% of the pass mark, so, within 1.5marks or so, so you don't need much extra to sneak from an FA to a P.) :cool:

From memory, in the UK it costs in the region of a few hundred pounds, and I think there might be a deadline on how long you have to register your appeal (which may be conviently (for the profession) before the examiners reports appear). :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2012
  4. Rahul-Ahuja

Rahul-Ahuja Member

I checked with the institute.
    Emily long said tht she looked at my profiile and my attempt has been unsuccessful. So no typing error.
    Yea I dont think exam appeal will be a good idea.
    Ahhh moving on.....

5. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

If each exam is marked twice, does it mean that your official score is the average of the two markings?

6. Rahul-Ahuja

Rahul-Ahuja Member

And I failed miserably in Ct3! :eek:

7. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

This is a really good question Viki. I've checked with one of the examiners and you'll need to write to the Profession to get an official answer.

They also recommended reading the Student Handbook. Though flipping through it I can't see the answer to this.

8. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

its not in the student handbook....it is one of these secrets that is not revealed by the profession....:eek:

9. Calum

Calum Member

I'd doubt a simple average would be used - makes much more sense for any difference to be investigated, especially around the pass mark.

10. bapan

bapan Ton up Member

I would tend to go with Calum.

As the Institute does not publish marks, I doubt if they would be interested to have precise way of coming up with one final score for a student. If both markers score a student at a level above or below the passing threshold, the decision is clear.

I guess when it is on either side, those cases gets treated as borderline cases and comes under further scrutiny.

However this is all speculative from me.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  11. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

This logic makes sense.

12. scarlets

scarlets Member

Yes it is 10 days. Quite a sham really expecting people to spend hundreds of pounds to appeal, when the appeal success rate is perhaps just 5-10% as someone mentioned, and before you know why they failed you. Rip-off.

13. bystander

bystander Member

If you were a long way off the pass then no don't go the appeal route.

Don't know if you are in the UK, but there are other avenues open for you.

1. Exam counselling - personally I'd only use it if you fail narrowly more than once. Generally face to face but you can do it and get a longer written report but then you won't see your script.
    2. Apply to view your script. Again really an option only if in UK. You will be able to see exactly what you wrote and for longer than in exam counselling. Cheaper too as you are not paying for a report.

An alternative is redo the exam paper in exam conditions and see how it feels. Then mark it yourself. OK it won't be exactly the same answers you write down but it may give you an idea where you went wrong as its likely the same thoughts will recur about tackling the qns.

But you are right not to dwell on it. You can't change the past.