EV and PVIF

Discussion in 'SA2' started by MissBeta, Dec 28, 2009.

1. MissBeta

MissBeta Member

I'm getting mixed up with Q23.4 in the chapter on analysis of change in embedded value. Why does the EV increase by the profit amount only (£400) and the PVIF increases by the profit amount and the fall in the free surplus (£700).

I thought the PVIF was only concerned with the profit and the EV was the profit plus the free assets - so I thought the answer would be that the EV increases by £100 (Profit less the Reserves and AS) and PVIF increases by £400?

2. Lynn Birchall

Lynn Birchall ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi MissBeta

I think your understanding is basically fine and it's just a question of interpreting what a "profit criterion of £400" means. Perhaps some numbers help...

Imagine that before it sells this policy the company has free assets of £2,000 and PVIF of £0. (Not very realistic, but easier to see what's happening!). So, the total value of the company is £2,000.

When it sells a policy that is worth £400 to the company, the value of the company will increase to £2,400.

We know that when the policy is sold the free assets will become £2,000 - 200 - 100 = £1,700. For the total value of the company to be £2,400, the PVIF must therefore be £700.

In summary, I think a "profit criterion of £400" is effectively the same as an "EV of £400" rather than a "PVIF of £400" (ie it includes the cashflows at t=0).

Hope this helps
    Lynn

3. SABeauty

SABeauty Member

Queries on this question seem to come up repeatedly - can adjustments not be made to the answer in the notes to explain this a bit better?

Thanks

4. Mike Lewry

Mike Lewry Member

We're about to start our next review of the Notes, so I'll flag this up. Thank you.