error in payoff diagram - CID A2003, 4(i)(a)??

Discussion in 'SP6' started by Gareth, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Gareth

Gareth Member

Question says: Draw approximate Profit / Loss diagram for (a) Buy 1 european at-the-money call option.

The examiner draws:

[​IMG]

But this doesn't look right compared to Wilmott page 27, or indeed my Excel spreadsheet:

[​IMG]

So what's gone wrong here? I thought that the time value is always positive for calls, since the payoff is potentially unlimited.

[edit] please forgive my mislabelled y axis, which should say profit

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2006
  2. Gareth

Gareth Member

oh dear, similar story for part (b).

examiner's graph:

[​IMG]

My graph using excel:

[​IMG]

what does the ASSET from Acted say?

[N.B. you need to use high volatility to achieve positive net premium as the examiner seems to have assumed]

3. jonbon

jonbon Member

part a definetely looks wrong...should be as you drew gareth...bold line (for current expiry)at the bottom and curvy ones above it (2m/3m expiry).

as for part b...i don't see any probs with the curve...drawn now..it will be straight lines and 2m/3m it will be curvy and close to the bold line(now).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2006
  4. Gareth

Gareth Member

the curve at 2 months shouldn't stay strictly under the straight lines as the examiner has drawn it - it should cross the straight lines.

What really worries me is how wrong the examiner is on this question. The call graph is indefensible, any student with half a clue about CID would get this right, so why on earth has the examiner got it so wrong??

Make me think the examiner didn't really understand CID properly...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2006
  5. examstudent

examstudent Member

-examiner made a wrong CALL!!lol

6. Gareth

Gareth Member

so the conclusion is that we're damned if we get it right, damned if we get it wrong!

Now what about the other question from this paper in my other post?

7. examstudent

examstudent Member

havent got the wilmott, so your graph must be right if thats wat wilmott says
    graph makes intuitive sense that a deep in the money put must have delta close to -1 near expiry (behave like -1* share, i.e opposite to a share)

or something like
    delta of call is N(d1) where d1 is as usual and N is cumulative normal

P=C-S+PV(K) for k exericse price
    Delta put = delta (call) - 1 = N(D1) - 1
    now as t tends to T (i.e at expiry and no time left to maturity) N(D1) tends to -infinity when S<K and +infinty when S>K
    deep in the money put is S<K
    so delta ( deep in money put ) is = N(minus infinity) -1 = 0 -1 = -1

bottom graphs on reaffirms your assertion..

http://www.quantnotes.com/fundamentals/options/thegreeks-delta.htm

examiners words seem complete opposite-increase/ decrease put in "wrong " places according to all these anaylses...i

ps ..examiner talks about turning point in graph..doesnt this graph have point of inflexion, if you can even call it that?