Equations Suck

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Hobbs, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Seeing people attach word docs to their posts in order to get their equations all pretty is a bit sad.
    What are the chances that this forum could use MathJax? or something similar?

http://www.mathjax.org/

2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I've passed this onto our IT guys. We've wanted to do something for a while - unfortunately our IT team is stretched and it'll require a couple of days of their time to implement - so we've not been able to do anything yet. :(

3. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Well, lots of sympathy for the stretched IT guys.
    Time to sit tight and wait for the budget entrails to align I guess :)

4. John Lee

One of the IT team says he's sorted this and it seems to be working except for MathML...

Care to try this out?

5. Calum

Calum Member

A simple example:

\[ \left [ - \frac{\hbar^2}{2 m} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + V \right ] \Psi = i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \Psi \]

6. John Lee

Hurrah! That is fantastic!

Post exams are you up for writing a thread explaining to students how to use it? And I'll make sure it gets the attention it deserves.

7. Calum

Calum Member

Will do. I'm looking into how to render the term-certain symbol - I have some code that works well in LateX but it requires some tweaking for a pure TeX environment.

8. kmacandie

kmacandie Member

These \LaTeX symbols are useful...

maths.dur.ac.uk/stats/courses/AMII/LifeConSymbolsGuide.pdf

9. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Hi 5 for your IT peoples!

10. Any good Mathjax ways of getting a term certain symbol i.e. a thing like ¬ to sit over a number?

I've tried overline with a pipe symbol | e.g. to show a ten year annuity certain payable in arrears:

\[ a_{\overline{10|}} \]

11. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

Great! Thanks John for taking this up - and the acted IT guys for implementing it!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  12. Calum

Calum Member

There is a way - a bit clunky at the moment (I've been trying to work out a way of embedding a simple definition in the page but no luck yet!). You need to first import a bit of the MathML package available by saying

\require{enclose}

and then you can typeset term-certain symbols with

A_\enclose{actuarial}{n}

Which produces
    \[
    \require{enclose}
    A_\enclose{actuarial}{n}
    \]

13. td290

td290 Member

Thanks to all for sorting this out! :)