1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Elementary compound interest problems

Discussion in 'CT1' started by Josie_C, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Josie_C

Josie_C Member

Hi,

I'm slightly embarrassed because I can't follow the first example within this chapter (Example 12.1, page 4, CT1-12 combined materials pack). Here is the question.

upload_2018-2-20_9-29-50.png

This is some of my working...
    upload_2018-2-20_9-52-49.png
    I'm clearly making a basic mistake. I've tried using i(p) to calculate the annuity (where I've used 0.08 above). This didn't help.

If someone could clarify my error here, I'd be really grateful.

Very best,

Josie_C

Attached Files:

2. Adam Ahmed

Adam Ahmed Keen member

Hey Josie,

The issue is that you're using the coupon rate in your calcs rather than the yield. If you use 10% in your calcs, you'll get the correct answers.

While the rest of working is fine, I would also suggest using the tables to obtain the annuity values, in the exam you won't have time to do detailed calcs.

Hope that helped.
    A

John Lee likes this.
  3. Josie_C

Josie_C Member

Hi Adam,

Thanks so much for your input. You're absolutely right, as you know. I'll take a look at the tables now to confirm where I'd find the details needed.

Huge thanks,

J

Adam Ahmed likes this.