education noticebaord march 2006 - appeals??

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by examstudent, Mar 9, 2006.

1. examstudent

examstudent Member

Hi all

Education noticeboard on institute site details “appeal procedure”

Is this a new thing, as there was never any notification of this on the site ever before?

Going back to recent Staple Inn meeting about exams,
    Where it was discussed that marking schemes will not be disclosed, we were given the inmprsssion that the exam procedure was a “holy grail” which had insufficient flaws to even the notion of allowing appeals against results?

The appeals document talks of administrative errors in totalling of marks, have people had experience of such a thing and hence appealed, and had result overturned?

If this is a new procedure because of some of the problems taht were encountered in 2005 with some exams?

2. Gareth

Gareth Member

i think you must be forgetting the examiner doesn't make mistakes, only "typos" or "misprints".

I would be very surprised if they would ever admit to incorrect marking. More likely this is a superficial appeals process, that in practise would never succeed.

3. Didn't even realise an appeals procedure existed. I haven't read the detail of the note but does this mean that you can contest (for example) an FA if you feel you've passed? I thought one thing they will never do is let you see the marks you were given by each of the markers and only look at your paper if you went up to the Institute offices in Oxford....

4. ChrisR

ChrisR Member

I am reliably informed (literally by a bloke down the pub) that you can get a copy of your script from the Institute if you want it.

Markers don't write on them, so don't expect too many clues - mainly just the cringe factor of looking at all the easy questions you botched under exam-pressure!!

C

5. Gareth

Gareth Member

actually an ex-collegue of mine did exam counseling and was not allowed to take his script away with him, he could look at it in the presence of the actuary, but that was it....

6. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

...Yeah maybe I'd write in a few correct answers and send it back saying the marker has missed some of my answers!! :D

7. there is a sucker born every minute

appeals is a great idea.
    i reakon charge people another 50 quid to fail them again, easy money!
    everyone knows that exams are assessed by the 'shot put method'
    1. you get a bunch exams scripts
    2. throw them from the top of a flight of stairs
    3. those that reach the bottom = pass
    4. FA, FB's etc are measured from how many steps the exams are short of the bottom

how else could you possibly get exam marks to fit the distribution curve?
    in fact anyone with half a statistical brain should be able to prove that this Ho cannot be rejected

8. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

Actually it's £250 !

And just for good measure if you don't like the result of the appeal then you can 'appeal the appeal' for another £250.

And just to make it clear what can be defined as an appeal:

You may make a Stage 1 appeal on the following grounds:

-belief that an administrative or procedural error has occurred
    -an arithmetic check on marking

So basically it costs you £250 to get them to check they've added your marks up correctly.

9. LouiseF

LouiseF Member

I've just failed CA1 for the third time and my family (all non-actuaries) are urging me to apply for the new appeals process. What should I say? I feel that it would be a complete waste of time as the appeals process was only introduced to satisfy critics of the exam system. They think it'll make all the difference and then I'll have passed. Also, it would cost £500 because CA1 has two papers. I think my work colleagues may think I'm a bit of a snivelling idiot too if I pursue it. How do I persuade my family that I'd rather get exam counselling instead of a re-check?

Does anyone know anyone who's appealled a grade yet? I kind of get the impression from this thread that even the Institute would rather we didn't use the appeals process!

LouiseF

10. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

If your family are going to pay the £500 then do it - otherwise politely tell them you'd rather not.

I once asked them to check a ct4(103) exam. I said I thought they may have divided my mark by 100 as opposed to 50 (for a half paper). They checked, and they had done it right. I really did do that badly!

11. Deniese

Deniese Member

I don't really see the institute changing the mark but who knows....judging by the lack of response to your thread, don't think anyone has successfully/bothered to appeal for a grade change.

I am assuming you got an "FA"...if not I don't think there is a point....

12. Sauny Bean

Sauny Bean Member

I know someone who appealed. Guess what - the grade stood firm.

As far as I know all they do is recount and as papers are always double marked, I doubt they'll ever need to change a grade. £250 for 5 mins work. £$£$ Ker-ching $£$£

To my mind it's more likely that they'd have to increase the grade if a third marker actually checked the answers again and came across something that was hidden in an answer that was worth several marks that wasn't picked up by either of the first 2 markers ... which is probably why they don't allow for this in the appeals procedure.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2006
  13. King

King Member

I’ve been lead to believe markers do not actually write on the papers they mark, so your £250 must buy a re-marking. In any case, I think the exam system is fair – and some people should just accept they failed and stop making excuses. Give the conspiracy theories a rest.

14. LouiseF

LouiseF Member

King, I totally agree!!

Will you explain that to my Mum????

15. happychap

happychap Member

Appeals System is just a sham!

The appeals system did exist previously all be it in the background. however, I wouldn't bother wasting time on it.

A couple of year ago I appealed my exam on the basis that I had just had brain surgery (3 months before the exam) and my mind blanked during the exam. It was later confirmed (to me and the Institute) by my neurosurgeon that this was due to my operation.

I hoped that the Institute would take note of the unusual circumstances and possibly treat it as though I had not entered and maybe (hope of hopes) refund me.

I received correspondence telling me that my situation would be considered but on the day of results I received a standard letter with an FB.

Did they consider my situation at all - I very much doubt it!

16. Gareth

Gareth Member

jeez, that's more proof that the Institute lack any human emotions whatsoever.

you should write about your experience to the Actuary letters page, it's a pretty appalling way to treat you.

17. Fiasco

Fiasco Member

While it is unfortunate that the surgery adversely affected your performance, I must say I do not agree with you here.

Given that the surgery happened prior to the closing date for exam entry, I think the Institute is right. Refund should only be considered if there is an unforseen event shortly before the exam date.