Edinburgh Actuaries

Discussion in 'Careers' started by langbourner, Sep 2, 2015.

1. langbourner

langbourner Member

In future I may move to Edinburgh for family reasons.

Would be grateful for career ideas for a qualified GI actuary. As well as London Market Pricing, I used to work as a software developer, so hopefully plenty of transferable skills.

AFAIK there are no major GI employers in Edinburgh, although I will confirm with recruitment consultants.

Other options? RBS, Standard Life, Heriot-Watt? I wonder how easy it would be to switch from GI to Life. I wonder whether I would enjoy Life. I suspect I'd prefer Investments.

Advice, brain dumps, abuse are all welcome!

2. Hemant Rupani

Hemant Rupani Senior Member

here website shows 3 Actuarial firms for GI in Edinburgh.....

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  3. bystander

bystander Member

switching when qualified say GI to life is harder. I'd say it depends which regime did you come through - eg the days when you covered all later subjects or via the ST SA regime. I have seen adverts saying they will consider people moving from pension to life and health to life but not many mentioning GI to life. That said, nothing should ever be considered impossible but may take perseverance.

4. old.student

old.student Member

Have a look at risk in banking. Credit risk and oprisk specifically. I worked in a London market GI consultancy and moved in to the banking world.
    London market pricing with coding experience - you'll be snapped up especially in Edinburgh where there's a shortage. Pay is also better in the banking world!

5. langbourner

langbourner Member

Thanks all. Some good ideas.