Earned Asset Share for With profits policies

Discussion in 'SP2' started by jimmytee, Mar 3, 2010.

1. jimmytee

jimmytee Member

Hi All,

Just for clarification, do we make a deduction to the asset share when we have declared the reversionary bonuses to policyholders since it is a contractual obligation for us to pay it out in future?

Recursive formula for Asset Share:

AS_t+1 = ((AS_t + P - E_t+1)(1+i_t) - S.q_x+t)/(1- qx+t)

The S in the formula above, does it include the declared accumulated reversionary bonuses or purely the death benefits at that time?

Appreciate if anyone could assist me on this. Thanks

2. Lynn Birchall

Lynn Birchall ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi

At the point in time a reversionary bonus is declared it isn't deducted from the asset share. This is because the asset share is a retrospective accumulation of cashflows. Declaring a reversionary bonus doesn't cause a cashflow.

However, as you say, declaring a reversionary bonus increases future contractual benefit payments. Therefore, in future asset share calculations the declared reversionary bonus will affect the asset share, eg in higher deductions for the cost of higher death benefits.

Hope this helps

3. jimmytee

jimmytee Member

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the reply. One more question on this, say, if at time 3 (just random choose), we have declared a reversionary bonus of 40 at that time.

at time 4, when we need to calculate the asset share, do we take into account of this deduction.

So in formula:

Death benefits = 10,000
    Premium= 3000
    Expenses =500
    Investment return = 12.6%
    mortality= 0.0014

AS_4 = [(AS_3+3000-500)(1+0.126)-(10000+40)*0.0014]/(1-0.0014)

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks alot.

4. Lynn Birchall

Lynn Birchall ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi again

Yes, your formula looks ok to me, ie yes the RB would be added to the basic sum assured.

If any terminal bonus was payable on death, then it would be usual to add this too so that the death benefit used in the formula was the total payable one death (SA + RB + TB)

Cheers :)
    Lynn

5. jimmytee

jimmytee Member

Thanks Lynn!