Duration hedge ratio for interest rate futures

Discussion in 'SP5' started by alimik, Sep 12, 2017.

1. alimik

alimik Member

The formula for the duration hedge ratio for interest rate futures (to protect against interest rate risk) is :
    >
    > H = (PP* DP)/ (PF * DF)
    >
    > Where:
    >
    > PP is the forward value the fixed-income portfolio being hedged (at
    > the maturity date of the hedge)
    >
    > DP is the duration of the portfolio at the maturity date of the hedge
    >
    > PF is the futures contract price
    >
    > DF is the duration of the asset underlying the futures contract at the
    > maturity date of the contract

For example

Lets say the investor owns a $2 million portfolio of bonds

They use an interest rate futures hedging tool against fluctuations against interest rate risk (lets say by X contracts of $100,000 bond futures, where the futures contract is due for delivery in 8 months)

My question is why is why in the denominator of the formula is the duration of the $100,000 bond underlying the futures contract used in DF rather than the duration of the $100,000 bond underlying asset plus the 8 months?

Thank you for your assistance

PS. The following website https://au.mathworks.com/help/fininst/examples/managing-interest-rate-risk-with-bond-futures.html
    suggests "Since bond futures derive their value from the underlying instrument, the duration of a bond futures contract is related to the duration of the underlying bond." but I don't understand why this is the case

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2017
  2. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi.
    You state correctly that DF is the duration of the asset underlying the futures contract at the maturity date of the contract.
    I'm not sure where your example (and hence your query) comes from? Is that ActEd Notes?
    Simon