double decrement table

Discussion in 'SP1' started by miss meh, Jul 15, 2007.

1. miss meh

miss meh Member

Do they present decrease in lives due to death and disabilities? how does it count for recoveries? I am a bit confused from reading the notes....

also... this is my first time studying for ST1. Any tips on revision? I'm quite surprised that there seems to be so few materials available for ST1.
    Which are the important chapters in this course?

2. There are two double decrement tables. One is for HEALTHY lives, and yes, the number is reduced to allow for the deaths and sicknesses during each year (say), and it is also INCREASED to allow for expected recoveries during that year. (So I suppose the recoveries are “increments” rather than decrements :) )

There is also a second table for SICK lives, which has decrements of dying (whilst sick) and recoveries (and also increments of no of lives falling sick).

The expected number of recoveries each year (say) will be worked out by applying recovery rates (or probabilities) to the number of sick lives in the second table. This number will be a decrement in the second table but an increment in the first table. Hope this makes sense!

See Section 1.3 of the Course Notes for more detail – pages 8 and 9 are particularly relevant to your query.

I’m sorry that we haven’t been able to produce further revision aids, such as revision notes, for Subject ST1 yet. We’re working these, but they won’t be available for this session.

For revision, you should focus on practising lots of questions – the more you can do under near exam conditions, the better. Past papers and ActEd questions (Assignments, Mocks, Q&A bank, etc) will be useful. There is also a list of past paper questions for other subjects relevant to ST1 in my FAQ thread on this forum.

Of course, learning the bookwork is also important. Once you’ve been through the ActEd Notes and understand the material, then just concentrate on the Core Reading – you can buy this separately if you like.

I’m sure others reading this (e.g. those sitting or recently sat ST1) could provide you with further advice? Best of luck.