Doing this subject and ST9 - April 30 2015

Discussion in 'SA5' started by Edwin, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hi all,

I ran away from SA6 after I went through the notes and the subject is not was I was looking for as it is generally more of Asset Management than any Finance work.

I went through a few past papers for both SA6 and SA5 and I saw SA5 is quite technical as I have seen questions on some calculations and discussions on Monte Carlo Simulation, so I decided to take this subject......however I failed ST9 (got FA) and the two are written on the same day.

Not worried a lot about ST9 as I know why I failed and I think I understand the work very well, any advice?

2. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi, I wouldnt worry about the technical content of SA5. If you are doing ST9 you will already overlap some of the credit risk models that are occasionally tested in SA5. Other calculations are very manageable (VaR calcs, cashflow and profit forecasts, a few accounting ratios and -once- a personal tax calculation). Most of the marks in SA5 are for wordy analytical work, and financial common sense. If you have the time to commit to the notes and preparing for the bookwork questions that do come up from time to time, then you should have nothing to worry about.

SA6, as you say, is hard if you are not in the fund management, manager selection, trustee advice, and ALM areas, or at least have a very good idea of current affairs in these areas.