Dodgy CVs

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by scarlets, Jun 9, 2007.

1. scarlets

scarlets Member

A general question.
    If you suspected a person working in an actuary-type job had a fake CV, or exam information/actuary experience on the CV that you suspected was false, should one tell the profession or is it an internal matter only?

2. Louisa

Louisa Member

I'd think if the person is a member of the Institute/Faculty, it would very much be a matter for the profession.

If not, there's not much the profession could do about it. Though we would still be brought into disrepute if the person then failed to do a good job. Then I'd think any employer would do sufficient checking up to notice this blatant a lie?

3. bystander

bystander Member

I think this is one of those grey areas that get discussed in sessions re professionalism and ethics.

There is so much to think about:
    How did you see the CV? Were you supposed to see it?
    What evidence do you have to make the claim? Is it tangible or a hunch.

Before contacting the profession, I'd seek advice from your employer. If it turns out you were wrong, it may be you that the finger gets pointed at.

If it's a newcomer, it may take a while for their true skills to come to the fore as everyone tends to appear hesitant in a new environment.

At the end of the day, you have to decide. No-one else has the facts.

4. Surely it's quite easy to check out by looking at old past lists on the web?

5. nornor

nornor Member

Do we work together? :D

6. snake

snake Member

Same fella?

There's a disciplinary case in the new Actuary magazine.
    Were you guys referring to him?

7. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

If someone is blatently lying then I would "shop" them to both the employer and the institute. You can't go around saying you passed x exams when really you haven't.

Would you like to be operated on by someone calling themselves a surgeon but who couldn't pass the required doctor exams?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2007
  8. jensen

jensen Member

If it's about the pay, surely the company would want to see some certification before awarding them the $$$.

If it's bout professionalism, then this person will never qualify, unless he/she is faking their FIA or FFA designation!