Dividend Treatment - Urgent

Discussion in 'CT2' started by Avviey, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Avviey

Avviey Member

Hi,

I was using last year's course notes, but I looked at the 2009/2010 updates on the course notes, I noticed there are changes regarding the treatment of approval of dividends in income statement. I understand that once dividends are paid, it will be deducted from the cash balance and retained earnings. So So I think here "paid" means approval of dividend?

But what about dividend proposed? It only needs to be mentioned in the notes and no need to include it in the accounts, is that right?

By looking at the CMP upgrade, I'm confused as to "approved", "paid" and "proposed" and how they affect the income statements and balance sheet.

I'd really appreciate alot if anyone can help to clarify for me. Thanks heaps.

2. Meshali

Meshali Member

Hi

My understanding is that the dividend proposed should only be included in the notes to accounts.
    The only dividends that appear in the financial statements should be those that have been "paid" in the accounting year. These are usually in the trial balance, so it is deducted from the retained earnings in the balance sheet.

The course changed so that only paid dividends are recorded, any proposed/approved are just treated in the notes to accounts.

Hope that helps.

Meshali

3. prmenon

prmenon Member

Hi
    This is what i could understand, do correct me if i am wrong

There are 3 stages mentioned for dividends 1. proposed 2. approved 3. paid

Proposed | Approved | Paid | Comments
    Yes | Yes | Yes | Dividend is paid for last year; Include a
    note under income statement; Reduce the
    dividend from the retained earnings

Yes | Yes | No | Dividend approved for last year not paid yet
    Include a note under income statement;
    Do not Reduce the dividend from the
    retained earnings/ equity statement; But
    include it in the current liability of BS

Yes | No |No | Must be disclosed only in the notes and it
    does not affect the Income / equity /
    Balance Sheet

4. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

You are right. Only stages 1 & 3 are examinable.