Differing solutions between Revision Bks and Examiners for Accounts prep questions

Discussion in 'CT2' started by Jonny, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Jonny

Jonny Member

I have just come across something which i find quite worrying. My approach to preparing for the upcoming ct 2exam has been to go throught the exam questions contained with the Revision books. Im currently doing the preparing of Income statements and Balance Sheets questions. I have just realized that the methods and final results from the Revision Books differ from those in the Examiners Reports. For example if you compare the solution from
    Examiners report April 2003 q17 and the solution in the Revision Books, they differ by approach and by final result.

The same is the case in April 2006 q20, not so much difference in the final result from the Income statement, but a different approach to the Revision Books. Within the BS part there is a very different approach generating a different final answer for the Balance sheet equation.
    This worries me as these type of questions rely heavily on method marks and if im following the Revision Books, im worried that i may get penalised.

Has there been some change in the syllabus or approach to these questions over the past few years, as i have noticed that attached to some question is "(adapted)"

Cheers

2. Lynn Birchall

Lynn Birchall ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Jonny

Yes, there have been changes over recent years and the approach and solutions in the Revision Notes are the ones that are in line with the current syllabus and needed for the exam.

The main changes have been:
    • treatment of dividends - so the figures in the income statements now can be different to those that appeared in the Examiners' Reports at the time
    • layout of balance sheet - it used to be basically "Assets - Liabilities = Equity and reserves" but now it's "Assets = Equity and reserves + Liabilities" (I realise both of those are grossly simplified! :D )
    Hope the question practice is going well. Best of luck for the exam
    Lynn