1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Difference between an excess and a deductible

Discussion in 'SA3' started by Shillington, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Shillington

Shillington Member

Hi there. This is a very basic question but I don't think that I've ever understood or read a clear explanation of the difference between an excess and a deductible. Can someone please explain the difference?

2. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

A deductible basically reduces the maximum payout, but an excess doesn't. Let's see an example:

Scenario 1: A policy has sum insured 1,000 and excess of 100:

• If the loss to the insured is 500, the insurer will pay out 400
    • If the loss to the insured is 1,500, the insure will pay out 1,000 (ie the sum insured).

Scenario 2: A policy has sum insured 1,000 and deductible of 100:

• If the loss to the insured is 500, the insurer will pay out 400
    • If the loss to the insured is 1,500, the insure will pay out 900 (ie the sum insured less the deductible).

Hemant Rupani likes this.
  3. Shillington

Shillington Member

Thanks for your reply.

So

Excess Loss=Min(SI, Max(0, Loss-Excess))
    Deductible Loss=Min(SI-Deductible, Max(0, Loss-Deductible))

So in your example for all losses up to the SI the two structures have the same recoveries for the insurer but for losses above the SI they have different payments. Which means for the same excess and deductible the coverage under the excess is better and so should have a higher price.

The deductible definitions seems quite unnatural to me.

4. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Yes that's right. It probably feels unnatural if you're used to thinking about personal lines business (eg your own car insurance). Deductibles are more common in commercial lines.