Developing individual losses for frequency-severity approach

Discussion in 'SP8' started by td290, Aug 23, 2012.

1. td290

td290 Member

In chapter 14, under methods used to develop individual losses, the Course Notes state that:
    I can’t see why this is necessary. Why not just fit to the data we already have (after developing open reported claims)? The fitting of the severity distribution should not be sensitive to the number of data points we are fitting to, only to the distribution of them. It seems strange to just add data points based on the data we already have. The only thing I can see it might achieve is to cause the uncertainty in the fitted distribution parameters to be understated.

2. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi td290,

If we accept that we have to develop all losses, then if follows that we must also allow for IBNR claims, ie claims that have happened but which we don't yet know about.

In other words, we shouldn't let our final answer be distorted by how long it takes a policyholder to pick up the phone and tell us about a claim.

Kind regards,

Katherine.

3. td290

td290 Member

Still confused

Hi Katherine,

Thanks for this. It still doesn't make sense to me though. In fact I noticed after posting this question that the "Reinsurance pricing" chapter seems to directly contradict what you are saying. On page 22 in the ActEd study materials it states clearly:
    (It then says we should develop the claim count to allow for IBNR claims when estimating the frequency distribution, but we're talking about severity here.) The advice from chapter 20 seems to make far more sense.

To pick up your point about the length of time the claimant takes to pick up the phone distorting the results, my quote from the original question does say:
    In other words, we can assume that notification delays are independent of the severity of the claim and so the omission of the claims that have not yet been reported would not distort the severity distribution. In fact, since we know nothing about these claims yet, their omission would be less likely to distort the result than the inclusion of guesstimate figures for them.

Sorry if I'm being a bit slow to cotton on!

4. iActuary

iActuary Member

I find the 4 methods to develop losses in Chapter 14 are not comparing apple to apple, in the sense that:

- Method 1 and 2 seem to find ultimate claims for reported claims
    - Method 3 seems to find ultimate claims for IBNR claims
    - Method 4 seems to find the distribution of ultimate claims amount (for all claims including IBNR I think?). But we are talking about developing claims here, rather than finding the distribution. So perhaps this so-called Method 4 can be incorporated in the other methods (i.e. deterministic vs stochastic)?

I think the overall idea is that we have to find the ultimate frequency and severity, in order to cover all claims (i.e. reported, IBNER and IBNR).

In practice, we are likely to use several methods (which may not even be mentioned in the notes) to derive several estimates, and select an ultimate level based on some forms of credibility.

Feedback to this topic in Chapter 14 and 20: there is certainly room for improvement. Not easy to digest!

5. td290

td290 Member

iActuary,

Your analysis of what the different methods do is of course correct. My contention is that it is not necessary to know the severities of the pure IBNR claims, only how many of them there are. Katherine’s answer doesn’t address this since it starts from an assumption that we need to know the severities of all the losses.

As I mention in my previous post, the method described in chapter 14 is not consistent with chapter 20. It is also not consistent with chapter 12 of SA3, which basically describes the integration of the frequency-severity approach with the use of extreme value theory to estimate the severity distribution:
    But no mention of adding pure IBNR claims to the historical loss amounts. This seems sensible to me. Let’s suppose for example that we wish to fit the severity distribution by the method of moments. It is possible to obtain unbiased estimates of the mean and variance of the severity distribution from the historical loss data without the pure IBNR claims present. Making up values for the pure IBNR claims doesn't seem to me to add any credibility to the analysis. Please could somebody explain why this argument is not correct and how we can reconcile the apparent discrepancies between different sections of the Core Reading?