Dependent rate of mortality in Unit-linked contracts

Discussion in 'CT5' started by Jhanani, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Jhanani

Jhanani Member

Hi All!
    While working out April 2010 question paper, Q.13 (unit-linked endowment assurance contract), I got the following doubt:

The dependent rate of mortality has been taken as equal to the the independent rate (AM92 select).
    Can anyone tell the reason for the same? Why the conversion formula has not been used?

Thanks in advance
    Jhanani

2. Hemant Rupani

Hemant Rupani Senior Member

Because surrender can only be done at the end of 1st 2nd policy years.
    So any policyholder can't die in same year of surrender. That's it.

PS: I hope you know calculation methods for finding dependent probabilities has been changed from 2015 diets. Anyways new methods doesnt alter the solution of Q13

3. Jhanani

Jhanani Member

Oh ok. Thanks for resolving my doubt & for highlighting the change in the calculation.

4. salj67

salj67 Member

hemant what new formula are you talking about?

5. Hemant Rupani

From 2015, dependent rate calculated by considering same and constant force of mortality as independent rates per year of age.
    Previous, there were different methods, so you should ignore that Qs from before 2015 papers.

6. salj67

salj67 Member

so now how is dependent calculated from independent ones?

7. salj67

salj67 Member

we first calculate mu from independent probab and then use that in the formula for dependent probab?

8. Hemant Rupani

If you have ActEd notes of 2015 or 2016, then you can see the way to solve in Chapter 10. That's very long explanation.

9. salj67

salj67 Member

A large industrial company recruits a constant number of school leavers aged exactly 18 years on 1st July each year. Upon joining, workers undergo training for one year. Of those who complete this period of training, ten percent fail a final test of competence and are dismissed. Employees may also leave service voluntarily at any time. The independent rate of voluntary withdrawal from service is 0.15 for trainees and 0.10 at each age for fully trained employees. The occupation is hazardous and all workers, including trainees, are exposed to the risk of injury. The independent rate of injury is 0.05122 at age 18 and 0.05003 at ages 19 and above. An employee who is injured is transferred to alternate work with a subsidiary company, at a relocation cost of Rs 1000. The independent mortality rate for all employees aged 18 is 0.00112, for aged 19 is 0.00117 and for aged 20 is 0.00119. The number of employees attaining age 21 each year is 500.
    (1) Construct a service table covering the first 3 years of employment with the original company, distinguishing between those about to take the final test of competence and those who pass it. [Note: Regard failing the test as a special mode of decrement]
    the following formula was used to calculate dependent probab:
    (aq) d x = q d x [1 – 1/2 (q w x + q i x ) + 1/3 q w x q i x ]
    where d is death, w is withdrawal and i is injury
    this was a formula used in nov 2010 iai paper question 3
    is it no longer applicable now?

10. Hemant Rupani

Yes! Better ignore Qs.(before 2015) for finding dependent mortality.

11. salj67

salj67 Member

okkkayy...
    in my understanding to calculate dependent probabilities we use independent probability and find the mu
    then we use taht mu in the (aq)x formula where (au) is equivalent to mu . am i correct?

12. Hemant Rupani

Yes! If you're using a correct formula. :)