Delivery vehicle depreciation?

Discussion in 'CT2' started by Nicole890, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Nicole890

Nicole890 Member

Hello,

Apologies...me again! I've gone back to financial statement questions in booklet 3 and there are two questions with conflicting answers as to where to put the depreciation of vehicles.

I personally would put it under distribution costs (as that's where running costs go). Question 3 in the booklet - April 2006, q20 - puts it into cost of sales, even though the question specifies all vehicles are used by delivery and sales staff. On the other hand, question 9 - April 2013, q19 - puts it under distribution costs?

Is one of these a typo or is it flexible where it can go?

2. Nicole890

Nicole890 Member

3. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi - it's quite flexible.

The examiners are generally happy to have one item for depreciation in the cost of sales (regardless of the nature of items being depreciated).

A technically better approach from an accounting point of view is to put separate depreciation lines in the cost of sales/overhead expenses depending on the nature of the thing being depreciated.

Either approach in the exam should be fine and the resulting NPBTI is the same either way.

4. Nicole890

Nicole890 Member

Ash, I did wonder. Definitely sounds best practice to put it in distribution costs! Thanks :)

5. e_sit

e_sit Member

Hi both,

The different treatment will affect the Gross Profit. Just wondering will there be a question that requires the gross profit (e.g. a ratio calculation question following the income statement which using the value of gross profit)?

Thanks! :)

Eugene

6. Simon James

Simon James ActEd Tutor Staff Member

It is possible, but the examiners will be happy as long as your treatment of the item is consistent.