definition of line size

Discussion in 'SP7' started by Smith, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Smith

Smith Very Active Member

aware that there are two places referred the concept of "line size", but seems refer to different meaning,

- Page 5 of Chapter 23, "line size" here refers to the proportion of the risk taken by a particular insurer.

- Page 23 of Chapter 24, "line size" here doesn't clear defined, but seems not mean the same thing, am i right?

- besides, also saw a file from the Lloyd's website, regarding the definitions of line size in the context of business planning (SBF), understand it's of maximum exposure per risk. see below link:

Y5089 - Line size definitions for SBF reporting – Updated (lloyds.com)

how the two places referred by the course notes relate to the file from the Lloyd's?

thanks!

2. Darren Michaels

Darren Michaels ActEd Tutor Staff Member

One of the issues you will come across in General Insurance is that unfortunately some people use the same or similar terms to mean slightly different things

However, on this occasion I think the meaning used in Core Reading for "line size" is the same. It means the proportion of the risk taken by a particular insurer. (Presumably you meant to refer to page 22 of Chapter 24 as I cant see the term used on page 23?)

The Lloyd's document that you refer to says that the definitions are "designed to be used solely for the purposes of Lloyd’s business plan reporting" - you do not need to worry about this for the Subject SP7 exam. Also the fact that the definitions seem to vary by class of business, suggests that the term is often interpreted slightly differently by different people.

If you stick to the definition given in Chapter 23, you should be fine for the exam.

3. Smith

Smith Very Active Member

ok, thanks!