Decision Theory

Discussion in 'CT6' started by Harashima Senju, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Harashima Senju

Harashima Senju Ton up Member

Question 1.6 part (ii) Q&A bank Part 1. I'm struggling to understand how they got the risk functions

2. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I've written out a detailed explanation for decision 1 in the attached document. Take a look at it and see if you can do the same for the other decisions.

Attached Files:

3. Harashima Senju

Harashima Senju Ton up Member

Thank you Katherine for the swift response:)

4. supriyo23

supriyo23 Member

Can anyone provide simplified explanation on statistical games

5. supriyo23

supriyo23 Member

Katherine can u provide me the simplied explanation on decision function as well as risk functions with examples

6. Katherine Young

Hi Supriyo23,

I'm afraid a general explanation such as your request would count as personal tuition, which is quite expensive. ActEd can help with specific questions relating to our products. I tend to think our best explanation is in our Course Notes of course. Is there a particular sentence of our explanation there that you don't understand?

I can make a few suggestions that should help you though: Since you're asking for general help on a broad topic, I always recommend that you try a few Q&A Bank questions. This is because the best way to learn is to try to puzzle it our rather than firing off a question on the forum in the hope that someone gives you a ready-made solution. The Q&A Bank and Assignments are ideal for this. You'll be amazed how much clearer things are once you've seen some questions. Give it a go!

Remember also that this forum is a place for students to help each other, rather than a place to request help from tutors. (I'll post on the forum now and then, but generally only if other students can't help.)

7. supriyo23

supriyo23 Member

Catherine can you please tell me why is d2(x)=a1 in statistical games where a1= coin is 2 headed and a2= coin is balanced and statistician wants to decide whether the coin is 2 headed or not?

8. Katherine Young

I'm sorry Supriyo, your question doesn't make much sense. Is this a question in a past exam, or in our course notes perhaps? If you can tell me a page number I'd be more able to help you.

9. supriyo23

supriyo23 Member

It is an example in page 14 of decision theory topic of chapter 1 wherein decision function d2(0)=a1 and d2 (1)=a1.why is it so.

10. Katherine Young

A decision function is just a rule that tells you what to do in any given scenario. (Think of it as a computer algorithm if you like, a set of instructions that tells a computer what to do if a given situation occurs.)

In the scenario on pages 14/15, there are 4 decision functions. One of these "instructions" is to always choose a1, regardless of whether x=1 or x=2. We happen to have labelled this d2, but it doesn't matter whether you call it d3 or d4 instead. The important thing is to make sure you can think of all 4 of them.