Curriculum 2019 - Transition Arrangments

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Infinity, Jun 1, 2017.

?

Are you happy with the Curriculum 2019 Transition arrangements?

1. yes - i think the new curriculum is great and communication has been crystal clear

39.3%
  2. no - i will be severely disadvantaged and am confused by the communications made

60.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. almost_there

almost_there Member

There is no good reason why they can't verify people's work experience already to see if it meets their 3 years requirement and give people a pass on PPD. You're right Viki, there is no logic behind the new system and I think it discriminates against people on the grounds of age. The IFoA have already handed Fellowship to many, many people who have less actuarial work experience than those who they're now looking to put into PPD, totally ignoring their many years of work experience they're now rendering effectively worthless!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2017
  2. almost_there

almost_there Member

They have declined to tell me whether they accept my work experience as it stands, despite it meeting their requirements many times over. I don't consider their attitude to be reasonable or accommodating in any way. It is very unhelpful not to let people know where they stand on work experience as it means we're unable to plan ahead.

3. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

So are you saying that you can only find out about work experience being acceptable or not at the very time when you clear your last exam? From what it looks like this date would determine whether you would be subject to old regime work experience requirement or the new regime work experience requirement. Until you clear your last exam it is not known what exactly you would be expected to document for obtaining an FIA.

4. almost_there

almost_there Member

The terms are already set out but they are reluctant to tell me what they are, because I believe they are victimising me.

5. almost_there

almost_there Member

That page has now been edited and omits the requirement for the declaration to be signed by a Fellow:
    https://www.actuaries.org.uk/studyi...rofessional-development-ppd-scheme-affect-you

What if I qualify and do not have a pass in CA3 but have a pass in CP3?

If you wish to qualify following the release of the September 2017 and April 2018 exam results and have passed the new CP3 Communication exam; you will be required to complete a declaration, which will be submitted alongside your WBS documentation that demonstrates you have completed the communication element of PPD and the learning outcome from that experience. This must be submitted before 1 September 2018.

This declaration will form part of the final sign off process. All other qualifiers will be able to complete the communication element online as part of PPD.

6. almost_there

almost_there Member

I did write to Derek Cribb to confirm last year that from September 2020 only work experience recorded as PPD will count for Fellowship, for those who joined IFoA pre-2004. In other words, work experience pre-Sept 2017 will not count at all from Sept 2020. No confirmation was provided but it's clear from the link that's what the situation is. I consider it scandalous that WBS exemption is not carried forward into PPD and I'd encourage anyone who joined a long time ago to submit their work experience for assessment now before PPD bites, as you don't have to wait until you pass your final exam to get it assessed.

7. Infinity

Infinity Member

Did you get a response?

8. Angel1

Angel1 Member

Hi, my questions are as follows and appreciate if anyone is able to clarify? Many thanks
    I have CT4 and CT6 left to take and probably wait until 2019. However as the qualification structure suggested CS2A (3 hours paper based) and CS2B (computer based 1.5 hours 'R) can be taken independently of each other:
    1. Am I correct to assume that there is no pre-requisite knowledge requirement for each other?
    2. Will there be separate study material (As the 2019 syllabus labels the curriculum as CS2 only) to study for them, given the structure of the exam is very different to each other? If for any reason you fail one exam, you end up revising the whole syllabus?
    3. For CS2B, how much knowledge will be required for "R"?