CTs for dummies?

Discussion in 'CA2' started by matthew levine, Dec 30, 2014.

1. As I passed most of the CT subjects before 2002 and then took a long break from studying, a 20-page summary of the high-level actuarial techniques across the CTs is high on my wish list for resitting CA2. Does anyone know if such a thing exists in the real world? What I'm envisaging is a document to spend maybe three hours reviewing as part of the revision process, so that if I need to refer to CT core reading in the exam it won't seem completely alien. (I would have thought there's quite a strong case for producing this now that some CA2 candidates may not even have studied some of the CT subjects.)

Thanks,
    Matthew

2. tiger

tiger Member

Not a summary, but you can purchase the CMP (combined materials pack) at the retaker rate, if you previously purchased them. £21 (+VAT for the ebook versions).
    If you left out CT2 & CT7, the other 6 would be £126?

Alternatively you could look at the reading list:
    http://www.actuaries.org.uk/research-and-resources/pages/ct-exams-reading
    (But some of them are quite expensive, based on amazon.co.uk)

3. Shillington

Shillington Member

There's not that many real core actuarial techniques which are going to be tested in CA2.

I would suggest brushing up on:

discounting
    q_x values and annuities
    triangle based methods
    "half way through the period" assumptions (by this I mean that if we know 50 people die in a year then assume they all die half way through).

Do past papers, it should all be relatively intuitive problem solving that you don't really need "actuarial" knowledge for, more general modelling skills.

You won't, for example, need to re-learn:

Black-Scholes
    General stochastic/markov processes
    Statistical techniques from CT3

4. Many thanks for these useful suggestions.