CT9 November 1st and 2nd

Discussion in 'CT9' started by Actuary, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Actuary

Actuary Member

Just been reading through the previous threads offering glimpses of what's to come, only served to add to the mystery though
    Got my access code and briefly began to go through some of the animations - still none the wiser!

So will be attending the course full of intrigue more than anything else, and looking forward to meeting people.

Let me know if you're going, and your thoughts. Or if you went before and can give any helpful advice about what to expect/particular things I should do or remember..

:)

2. Actuary

Actuary Member

Just Me Then

November is fast approaching and the institute thought it'd be fun to add an additional legal element to the course! Complete with additional pre-course reading attachments from the College of Law.

:eek:

Thus 5 (fairly chunky) sections of Trusts, Torts, Company and Partnership law, the English Legal System and Contracts are neatly printed awaiting my avid attention..

Looks as though the Institute are still developing CT9, I very much feel like a guinea pig.

3. small&scared

small&scared Member

I'm going as well (as are a few other people I know). The stack of legal stuff looks, er, intriguing! ;) I've worked my way through about half of the pre-course stuff, and am not really convinced by the animations - they just seem a bit weird and if anything distract from the message.

s&s

4. small&scared

small&scared Member

So what did people think then? Personally, I was pretty disappointed and don't think I learn anything, although the legal training was pretty good! :D

g_k

5. Actuary

Actuary Member

Positive

I was pleasantly surprised. I expected much worse overall, and was able to get more out of most of it than my colleagues who had been before said they did.

I agree with you that the legal content was quite good, not least because of the animate presenter! But equally useful skills can be derived from the strategic learning and even the business game if I look hard enough..

Also it was enjoyable to interact with people at a similar stage in their actuarial development, I find this is always made easier in circumstances where people are not there to do just that (ie in this case people were primarily there for the course)

Fire Alarm was not so fun, and the food (sandwiches) could have been better. Neither really the fault of the institute, but maybe they need to revise their choice of venue?

6. small&scared

small&scared Member

Yes, it was good to meet people, and it was also interesting to meet students from so many different backgrounds (Life, general insurance, risk, pensions...).

Opinions seem to vary hugely about the course; out of the people I was with, views ranged from 'awful' to 'quite good'!

It's pretty clear that this course is still very much a work in progress. From what I've heard from other people, it does seem to be improving though.

s&s