CT8 October 2014 Exams

Discussion in 'CT8' started by ngongtiti, Oct 6, 2014.

1. ngongtiti

ngongtiti Member

Hello Guys,

I hope we're now free to post here about the exams.

So what did you guys think about the monster paper? For me I found it annoyingly different to previous sitting.

I thought the were questions I wouldn't have still answered even with my
    CT8 notes....

2. That exam was not what I had revised for. Will have to re-sit for sure. What a waste of time!

3. Mike Lewry

Mike Lewry Member

I'm sorry to hear the exam didn't go well for you.

Which questions did you struggle with? What made them difficult for you?

What areas did you revise for that weren't examined?

4. ngongtiti

ngongtiti Member

I had trouble with Q7, parts of Q8 & the last 2 parts of Q9.

For starters why don't they just include section 7.2 of the table as a mini chapter or something in CT8 syllabus.

Q7 was a 10 marks based on section 7.2 of the table. The proof is not easy to solve unless uve seen it before.

Talking abt Q8, it'll be nice to have derivative questions based on reality. I can't imagine anybody in their their right mind going to OTC derivative market, to buy an option with such a crazy payoff condition, as the one described in Q8.

5. Thanks.

Pretty much in the same boat as ngongtiti.

I was also not prepared for Q1 where I could not recall enough to get the full 9 marks. All that together with other mistakes and difficult 2-3 marks at the end of some questions will ensure that I fail.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  6. skhurana

skhurana Member

I had a bad start of the day with boarding the wrong train and then reaching the exam centre amongst all the panic just 5 min before and I think that is the reason I couldnt do much and this is a definate fail.

But otherwise the questions about formula on page 7.2 was exactly the same as in one of the past exam paper althuogh I didnt attempt it as I was totally confused with the episode that happened just before the exam and my mind didnt work at all in the exam.

Even Q7 is similar to one in the past papers.

Also question 1 again was from one of the past papers.

Saying that I am still going to fail as I too didnt attempt any of them and I am gutted as this will be the first exam I am going to fail :(

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2014
  7. haha! maybe you are a deeper thinking actuary than me - but when you got limited time, who cares about realistics?? the question involves a set of parameters and you got to find the solution, who cares if it makes sense?? one question i saw on a past paper (i'm sure you saw it too) involved finding an implied volatility of over 400%! Now of course, that is ridiculous, i swear the question was a mistake, but if you see the answer sheet, they simply said do it! no point letting reality bring you down....

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2014
  8. Mike Lewry

Mike Lewry Member

Congratulations to Nicholas and ngongtiti - it looks like you both passed, despite Q8!

And commiserations to anyone who wasn't successful this time round.

9. ngongtiti

ngongtiti Member

Sweetest Pass

Many thanks Mike..this is my sweetest exam pass yet....

10. Cheers Mike!

11. bystander

bystander Member

Yes well done. An early Xmas present.

It proves what is always said. A paper with hard question may be found hard by everyone, so just give it your best shot and pick up at list some marks for your efforts.

If there are no 'hard' questions, its often harder to prove your fitness to pass.

Never give in til you see the pass list!