1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

CT8 - APRIL 2012 - QN 7

Discussion in 'CT8' started by Anna_04, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Anna_04

Anna_04 Member

The remuneration package for the CEO of a quoted company in the tax year 2012/13 includes a bonus proportional to the excess of the share price over 100p at 5 April 2013 at a rate of £50,000 per penny.

The company’s Finance Director wants to hedge the cost of this bonus as at 6 April 2012. The share price at that date is S0 = 90p.
    The continuously compounded interest rate is 1% p.a. and the share price volatility is 18% p.a.

(i) Explain the bonus in terms of an option on the share price.

The solution states that the answer is 5 mil call options with strike price 100p and maturity 1 year. I'm not sure I understand this. COuld someone please explain?

2. Hi Anna_04

The way i understand this is as follows:
    - since the directors receive a "payoff" only if the share price exceeds £1 after 1 year, then this (the bonus) has to be a call option K=£1, (T-t)=1yr. So the payoff at expiry is max(St-£1,0)
    - We are also told that the bonus increases at a rate of £50,000 per pence of shares
    - If £1 of bonus equals 1 call option, then there are 50,000 call options per pence of shares
    - Rationalising in terms of £s, gives us 50,000/0.01 = 5m calls

Hope this kind of makes sense. The solutions don't explain anything properly unfortunately.

Anu Joshi likes this.