CT6 without CT4?

Discussion in 'CT6' started by RachelH, Oct 5, 2007.

1. RachelH

RachelH Member

Hi all,

The profession states CT6 assumes knowledge of CT4 - I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how vital CT4 is in attempting CT6, or whether you could go straight into it.

I've just done CT1 & CT3, and now trying to decide between CT4 & CT6. I'm a little worried I'll have forgotten CT3 by the time I do CT6, but I don't want to rush into it if it needs CT4.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks all :)

2. Zia

Zia Member

re : CT6 without CT4

I haven't sat CT4 as yet, though I'm working through the material, and I have sat CT6 unsuccessfully so far. As far as I can tell, most of the material in CT6 is independent of CT4, except the bit on Experience Rating, which uses some of the material on Markov Chains, but only the basics (it's the 2nd chapter from CT4, and the CT6 materials pack does cover it completely). The other thing that CT4 provides (and CT3 doesn't really) is the introduction to the "insurance" modelling perspective, but that is really more a perspective than actual subject material. My gut feeling is that you can learn CT6 without CT4. You MUST have CT3 at your fingertips though; a lot of the stuff in CT6 involves it: Bayesian decisions use calculating likelihoods (prior, posterior), the reinsurance stuff re-uses a lot of your PDF calculations, loss models etc will revisit distributions and extend them to Pareto and Weibull etc. Hope this helps: I'm no expert, and I may well be wrong :( other people with more experience please correct me :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2007
  3. deven

deven Member

In my opinion it is best to do CT6 immediately after CT3 as it builds on a lot of material from CT3. I don't think CT4 is a pre requisite for CT6, most of the stuff from Markov chains is covered in CT6 itself, althoug some knowledge on stochastic processes would be helpful while doing the chapters on time series, basic revision material ids provided in the CT6 course notes.

Hope thats helpful.

4. MissAussie

MissAussie Member

I'm in a similar position to the opening poster - have just done CT1 + 3 and, assuming I passed, am thinking about doing Ct6 and 7. These exams are spaced 3 days apart next year, so that should be ok. I always consider exam timetables before I make my decision... like the fact that CT2 is 2 days before my wedding, I immediately gave up the thought of sitting that exam...

5. MissAussie

MissAussie Member

PS the exam timetable is here:

Date am pm
    7 April CA1 (Paper 1) CA1 (Paper 2)
    8 April CT6 CA3
    9 April CT4 ST6
    10 April CT3 ST2
    11 April CT7 ST4
    14 April SA1-6 UK Practice modules
    15 April CT1 ST1
    16 April CT8 ST5