CT6 Q11 part iii

Discussion in 'CS1' started by Alfie, Apr 13, 2023.

1. Alfie

Alfie Keen member

Hi, i have struggled with this question:
    * why can we not do E(1-p/p)=1-E(p)/E(p) ? this gives wrong answer as a/b. the solutions integrate pdf*(1-p/p) which i understand method but why does what i said not work?
    * do i assume that this E(1-p/p) is a bayesian estimate? would any form of E(...) work as a bayesian estimate? (i know its not the usual quadratic/all or nothing/absolute)
    thank you in advance for help

2. Andrea Goude

Andrea Goude ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Alfie what year and sitting was this?

Alfie likes this.
  3. Alfie

Alfie Keen member

Hi Andrea, really sorry it is sept 2017 CT6 question 11 part iii thank you

4. Andrea Goude

Thanks Alfie
    E[(1-p)/p] is a function of p, you can't separate out the 1/p as E(1/p) is different to 1/E(p), you can work out the expected value as the integral of the function multiplied by the pdf.
    This is the expected value of this function of p, it is the prior distribution mean.
    A Bayesian estimate of p under quadratic loss would be the mean of the posterior distribution. You work that out in iv using ii and iii.
    Thanks Andrea

Alfie likes this.
  5. Alfie

Alfie Keen member

Hi Andrea, thank you for this!

sorry, what do you mean by 'a function of p'? im finding it difficult to see how this is different to say E(\sumx/\lambda) which is another question that i have seen but this time it is okay to pull out lambda. How do we know when its a function of something? i would have said E(\sumx/lambda) was a function of x

thank you in advance!

6. Andrea Goude

p is your variable of interest, so 1/p is a function of p as is p^2 say.

I suspect the other question was a function of x so it is okay to remove lambda in that case, as you said.

You would be guided by the question, here it was about p in i) conjugate prior of p, so that is our variable.

Alfie likes this.