CT6 IFoA April 2017 Q9 (iii)

Discussion in 'CT6' started by dushyant kochar, May 9, 2017.

1. the question is on acceptance / rejection simulation method. there are two functions that f(x) and h(x) with there parameters a and b respectively. the question is to find the value of parameter 'b' such that the whole simulation method is most efficient . So we have to find the value of 'b' such that C= MAX{f(x) / h(x)} is minimum . Now 'C' is not a function of x but i wrongly minimised 'C' as if its a function of x i.e. instead of taking the value of x at which C= MAX{f(x) / h(x)} ,I in the hurry took as if x is a variable independent of 'b' ,which was not the case. it was a 6 mark question . will i get any mark? and are marks lost for not showing your full workings even if the final answer is correct? plz help.

2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

d/dx instead of d/dβ is a serious error so you can expect to lose at least 2 marks.

The question says "determine" which means working is required to obtain any marks other than the answer mark.

3. thanks for the reply sir. but sir i have done dc/db but taken C as a function of x and b ,while it was a function of x0= (lambda - 1)/(1-b) and b.

4. John Lee

Ah - then you have missed out one of the β''s which will make it easier. Again I would expect you to lose at least 2 marks.

5. thanks for such an quick reply sir:) u have a new fan sir :D

John Lee likes this.
  6. John Lee

who knew?