CT6 Ch10 sec 1.3 exponential family for binomial

Discussion in 'CT6' started by Ark raw, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Ark raw

Ark raw Member

In this section, we prove that binomial distribution belongs to the exponential family but once I went through the proof it stated that Z~(n,μ) then stated that Z=Y/n. And then we went on to prove that y belongs to the exponential family, I wanna know how proving Y belongs to exponential family proves that Z belongs exponential family?

And 2ndly can we use the proof shown in this video in the exam? ''

And I have a 3rd question is, when b(θ)=-ln(-θ), then how b'(θ)=-1/θ? shouldn't it be b'(θ)=1/θ

Thank you

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2017
  2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

We're not trying to prove that Z is a member of the exponential family - we're trying to prove that Y is. However, we re-parameterise it so that we can separate the scale parameter n from the mean \(\mu\).

The video proof says there is no scale parameter which isn't the Core Reading approach. So no it wouldn't be marked correct.

Differentiating ln f(x) gives f '(x) / f(x). So you'll have three minus signs.

Ark raw likes this.
  3. Ark raw

Ark raw Member

But how does proving Y belongs to exponential family prove that binomial distribution also belongs to the exponential family?

4. John Lee

Because Y is a binomial.

It might be re-parameterised - but it's still a binomial

5. Ark raw

Ark raw Member

So Z~bin(n,μ) and Y=Z/n so Y is a binomial random variable w/ mean (natural parameter)=μ and scale parameter=n, so can we say that Y~bin(n,p) where μ=np? and since Z~bin(n,μ) then is μ<=1?

6. John Lee

We've scaled the binomial so that the new mean does take values between 0 and 1 (so it's a probability) so your second statement is correct. We then use this to model probabilistic outcomes (eg the incidence of a claim).