CT6, 7 and 8 - which to sit?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Rebecca.Thomas, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Hey! Having passed CT1, CT2 and CT3, sitting CT4 and CT5 this session, I'll then have CT6, 7 and 8 to conquer before moving onwards (assuming everything goes well this sitting, which it may not but I'll cross that bridge when I come to).

Starting to have a little think about which exams to sit in April 2012 and have the following questions which I'm hoping someone could help me out which please?
    • Is sitting all three in one session pushing it?
    • Do any of these exams 'compliment' each other, making them preferable to sit together?
    • Are any particularly relevant to GI?

Thanks x

2. nleon

nleon Member

Hi!

I'm starting studying for the CT series for April and September 2012.
    I'm going to attempt 2 exams per sitting. Do you think there are modules that work well together and can you suggest good combinations?

3. Edwin

Edwin Member

Hi Rebecca, the subjects highly complement each other...especially, CT6, and CT8. However they can all be studied parallel, CT8 assumes CT6. But given that u passed CT3, i think your probability is good. My advice is to sit CT8 and CT6 in April or to read CT6 and sit CT8.

Good Luck

4. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

I would say, yes, sitting all 3 would be pushing it....

CT7 and CT8 have some common subjects.

CT6 and CT4 are closer in my opinion rather than trying to match CT6 with CT7 and CT8.

CT6 is closest to GI.

5. Thanks for the help :)

I'm unlikely to sit just one exam and, as I'll already have sat CT4, match CT6 and CT4 for April isn't an option (maybe a resit, but fingers crossed not!)

So it seems either CT6 and CT8 or CT7 and CT8. Heard CT8 is a toughy, so would be good to get that one out of the way at least...

6. Just a quick query, the CT8 syllabus here doesn't seem to mention anything about CT6, am I missing something?

7. Edwin

Edwin Member

Rebecca the notes read (CT8); ''some of the Maths required for this subject is quite advanced- up to degree standard. The techniques covered in Subjects CT1, CT3 and CT6 will be treated as assumed knowledge and the theory will build on these''

Not the syllabus.

8. Thanks Edwin... that seems a bit sneaky of the institute!!
    Do you know of any other subjects which assume knowledge of other subjects not mentioned in the syllabus?

9. Edwin

Edwin Member

Personally i don't think CT6 is that much important for CT8, if you are comfortable with stochastic processes, go for it, i think it requires a basic understanding of the theory from Stochastic Processes from CT6.

Also i believe CT6 and CT8 can be done parallel.

For your question, CT5 assumes CT1 and CT3.

10. Thanks - I'm still undecided, but got a couple of weeks left before ordering new materials!!

I think CT5 syllabus mentions CT1 and CT3, at least I've put it in my little spreadsheet and that's where I got the info from. Cheers :)

11. CT5_Student

CT5_Student Member

maybe you should pass one of either ct4,5,6 or 8 before you go planning to sit 3 exams like that. Ct 1,2,3 are by comparison elementry and extremely easy to pass. I find it quite amusing when people get complacent and claim to have "killed" exams then post that they got an fd.

12. I find it quite amusing when people make assumptions about other people's attitudes towards exams! If I'd got "complacent" and was under the illusion that the exams would be a doddle then I wouldn't be here looking for advice on difficulty, compatibility, etc...
    In fact, I'm more likely to just stick to two exams next time as I'm aware that sitting two out of CT6, 7 and 8 would be a bigger task than sitting 1, 2 and 3 was!

Although I don't want to wait for results before deciding which exams to do next as this takes a significant chunk out of study time, so am tempted to leave any resits to Oct 2012. And it might leave me slightly behind colleagues planning to sit all three (assuming they were to pass of course!)

13. barnie

barnie Member

Firstly don't worry about what exams you have vs colleagues - only takes one good or bad sitting for it all to change!

Next, yes the exams are tough but they are doable and again don't compare yourself to others. If you've got a good track record then you have the all important "nack" which is a good starting point!

If you passed three exams in one sitting before then you can pass three in one sitting again! Ok 6 and 8 are harder than 1 and 3 but I reckon 2 is on par with 7. I did 1,3 & 4 then 2 & 6 and then 5,7 & 8 (&CA3) and managed to pass all. I have to confess with the last of those three sittings it was a lot of work and at times I did wonder if I had made the right choice and maybe if i had failed all I'd have a different view but looking back now I am glad I got them out the way! I also reckoned that if I didn't pass one then at least I'd done the bulk of the work for it so would be easier to do a resit. I didn't really want to have to do a CT and ST from scratch in one sitting or just do one CT in a sitting.

You could start on three and then decide whether to take them all or just two after you get exam results in Dec for the ones you are sitting now.

14. Lewin

Lewin Member

Having passed both,CT6 and ct7 are two really nice units that you can read smoothly apart from chapter 1-3 of ct6 which are a bit mind boggling at first but you'l nail them on subsequent readings.

CT7 is a relatively easy unit which is also a tonne of fun.Chapter 14 gave me a bit of a hard time but i later grasped it.

If your studying full time,you can combine ct6,7,8,but if you'l be working,Limit yourself to two.