CT5 April 2018 - How did everyone find the exam?

Discussion in 'CT5' started by Gagoy, May 2, 2018.

1. Gagoy

Gagoy Member

How did everyone find the exam? I found it more difficult than other years with few easy warm up questions.

2. wzlee12

wzlee12 Member

Honestly, this paper is quite a hard one compared to the others. More calculation questions, less bookwork, and quite some questions asking us to use their basis given instead from the Orange Book. Also my first time seeing fractional ages in a premium question. I could not get the premium required......:(

Gagoy likes this.
  3. Infinity

Infinity Member

I tried to enter well in time but was told the exam center was full. I complained to the FRC and was eventually told that I could take it. I decided to avoid more stress of broken online study material etc and dealing with the IFoA and decided not to take the exam. If I don’t pass in the next sitting I will lose my pass for CT1 and have to take six exams instead of the three I have remaining. I can only take 1 CT at a time due to personal commitments and I also have CT4 and CT8 outstanding so it is certain that i will Land myself in this situation. So that is how my CT5 sitting was.

4. wzlee12

wzlee12 Member

Oh dear. I have seen you have talked about the IFoA a lot. I wondered how much bad experience you had with them. >< But I genuinely feel bad for you. :( Though what is broken online study material though? @.@

5. Infinity

Infinity Member

For the last 2 CT4 sittings the online webinars just didn’t work. It frustrated me as I started the webinar and then after a few minutes it stopped. This happened like over 100 times and I just gave up with studying.

6. wzlee12

wzlee12 Member

Which Webminar you are talking?

7. Ace123

Ace123 Member

thought the paper was a bit more challenging than other years - for example the pension question, was really sure what to do. the one with the fractional age in the premium, I wrote the equation of value down correctly I think and then worked out the benefit side, just ran out of time, but hopefully get the bulk of the marks, 5/9 would be happy with.

The first 5 questions I think were ok but again not as easy as other years. The question with the different bonuses for each year as a bit annoying.

Don't want to be looking at this again so hoping I've done enough.

Gagoy likes this.
  8. Infinity

Infinity Member

Sorry I meant the online classrooms - not the live ones but the ones you can do at any time

9. Dona169

Dona169 Member

Ran out of time. Anyone else?

10. n111kus

n111kus Member

Ran out of time!

Expected to run out of time but hoped to get at least 80 marks worth done, with 80% of that being correct, I don't think that happened for me though!

CT5 is a completely different challenge to other papers it seems.

Also, would have been nice if some of the easier marks came up, like mortality rates.

The question paper is out on the institute website. Any idea when report comes out?

Nikesh

11. Gagoy

Gagoy Member

Yeah - running out of time is expected and very little easy marks in this version. I thought this particular sitting was more challenging than previous ones. Results will be published 28th June.

12. Sid Kumar

Sid Kumar Member

Passed, will have to wait to see the mark sheet tomorrow on how I did. Thought the exam was on average harder than the 5 year average.

13. Dona169

Dona169 Member

Same :)
    A but surprised that the pass mark is 57 instead of 60, but I'm not complaining!
    Thought the paper was better than last year's one.

14. Sid Kumar

Sid Kumar Member

Scored 87! Quite pleased, lots of hard work has paid off

Uroš, Harashima Senju and bystander like this.
  15. Infinity

Infinity Member

Well done, high score! Can I ask a couple of questions.

A) Did you take just CT5 or any other exams? B) Indian CT5 or British?
    C) How long did you spend studying?
    D) do you have Ct1 already?
    E) which exam will you take next?
    F) was this a resit?

Thanks for letting me know in advance

16. Infinity

Infinity Member

Revel all you want! 87 is a great Mark. I’ve never got anything close...

Sorry a couple more questions:

How come you’re not taking an exam this sitting?

Where are you based?

Did you manage 300 hours on top of a full time job?

17. Infinity

Infinity Member

Is it not illegal to make us have to spend our weekends and evenings studying for what is something that is required for our professional lives?

Mr Cribb has said that no one will be put in limbo due to the new system. You’re having to miss a sitting as there is no point in you taking CT4 and 6 as you’ve rightly pointed out

Recommended study hours for CT5 are 125 to 150

If I spent 300 hours studying, I would have a divorce being filed against me. 300 hours is like 36 days.

Don’t want to take away the positive vibe but I passed CT6 after several sittings and hundreds of hours of study and now they’re telling me that i have to do it all over again.

18. Sid Kumar

Sid Kumar Member

I am doing this purely on an exploratory basis and not particularly attached to these exams. I worked hard and am happy to see the result. May not always be the case.

So you have my sympathies.

19. Harashima Senju

Harashima Senju Ton up Member

Come on mate tell us the secret to passing this exam. I'm on Chapter 3 for the September session

20. Ace123

Ace123 Member

Passed this in the end - delighted as don't want to be doing this again.