CT4, 5 and 6

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by sammo, Oct 19, 2010.

1. sammo

sammo Member

I'm considering taking these 3 for the April exam. What route would you recommend as in which one to start with, overlaps and all? I sat CT1, 2 and 3 in during the september/october session and assuming that I pass 2 of these 3 and have to retake the failed one in April, which would you recommend leaving out for the April sitting between 4, 5 and 6?

2. mattt78

mattt78 Member

Ct4,5,6

CTs 4 and 5 overlap a bit, but I don't think CT6 overlaps with either 4 or 5.

If you were retaking CT3 then CT6 would tie in nicely with that as CT6 continues some of the areas covered in CT3.

Note that 4&5&6 together (if you don't have any resits) would probably be more work than 1&2&3. If you really want to do 3 exams at the next sitting i'd suggest taking CT7 as one of them, as its a bit easier (for most people, and in terms of typical pass rates) than each of 4, 5, and 6, (which are a small step up from 1,2,3&7). I think it even has some multiple choice questions!

3. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

generally CT4 and CT6 are always one day after another....that to me presents itself as not the best match....

4. Lewin

Lewin Member

I did CT6,7 and 3.
    CT3 and 6 tie in nicely together and CT7 to tone down the maths.
    Best of luck.
    Im currently studying CT4 which is heavier than CT6.
    I would probably suggest you do CT6 with CT5 or CT6 with CT4.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2010
  5. sonnyshook

sonnyshook Member

You can do all of them CT4, 5 and 6

but 5 questions

1. Can you do on average 3 to 4 hrs a day REAL absorption study every day of the week for the next six months?
    2. Can you start tomorrow, in fact have you started yet?
    3. Can you thoroughly finish all of them by mid february at the latest and start revision practice?
    4. Would you give each subject the SAME attention you would give it if it was only two subjects?
    5. Do you think you are invincible now you have sat CT1,2 and 3 in one sitting?

If you answered "Yes" to 1,2,3, 4 and "No" to 5 then

Go for it.

6. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

what makes CT4 heavier than CT6?
    do you think CT4 is also more complicated than CT8?

7. mattt78

mattt78 Member

Ct4,5,6

CT8 is the worst. The material isn't harder than 4 or 5 in my opinion, but it covers quite a lot of ground, and the exams are always nasty.

I'd say CT6 and CT4 are similarly difficult, but if you found CT3 straightforward you might find CT6 a bit easier (than CT4).

8. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

CT4 has far greater scope for difficult exam questions than CT6. The only areas which have the potential to cause any serious problems are time series and the Monte Carlo stuff.

9. sammo

sammo Member

thank-you

wow, i never expected such a strong and varied response so quick, much appreciated

Matt, I can see where you are coming from but i've already passed CT7, the paper i feel i had the worst performance in is CT3 and since you are saying the tie in better i think CT6 is pencilled in now. That said though, I feel I had a genuine go at a Pass, if it wasnt strong enough for a pass, it isn't dismally far off

Viki-that's true and is the case in April but i'd rather go through that week of hell now than have to study from scratch during the summer.

Lewin, it looks like CT4 and 8 are the heavy ones so it would be stupid to try them in one go so I like your suggestion of ct4 and ct6

Sonny-YNYYY, it is difficult to give definitive answers to 3 and 4 because I am not sure which areas could slow me down and which ones I can whizz through. However, thanks for the list because it looks more like a "things to do" for a genuine shot at the exams

based on all your advice, let me get the ball rolling for CT4 and CT6, try cover as much ground as possible for both of them for 10 december when results come out and then decide then if I should take up CT5 or not

Thanks a lot. :) :) :) :)

10. Lewin

Lewin Member

ct6 bookwork is very friendly,i found some difficulty navigating the first 2 or 3 chapters,but the rest of the stuff is pretty much okay
    Make sure you attempt past exam papers in order to get various licks that examiners may use to catch you out
    TIMESERIES in particular has some nasty exam questions.

I usually put in around 5 hrs per day if im attempting 3 papers,its better to start hard and heavy,and slow down later if you are pleased with your progress.

Im currently studying ct4 and its certainly not impossible.depending on how i perform in the 3 papers i attempted in september,i might decide to add another ct for April next year

11. Lewin

Lewin Member

viki2010

I havent attempted ct8 myself but the general consensus from people who have attempted both ct8 and ct4 is that in addition to ct8 bookwork being tougher than most ct's,it has a notoriously low pass rate.

ct6 is generally statistics with a lot of work involving distribution functions,and determination of future expected values,topics like empirical bayes credibility models are really simple and straight foward

Run off triangles are also straightfoward and even fun to read.

Topics like timeseries and ruin theory are a bit mind boggling at first but hopefully after while they wont be so bad.

ct4 has some brutal stuff like the infamous markov processes,kolmogorov(sp) the kaplan meir models,that im finding much challenging than stuff from ct6

But remember that nothing is impossible or undoable!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2010
  12. StephM

StephM Member

5 hours a day for 3 CT's?!

In my opinion that is overkill to the extreme.

If you managed 3 CT's over the summer session then you will be fine with 3 (any 3) over the winter session!

For 3 CT's I used to study around 10 hours a week, bumping it up nearer the exams.

CT8 is more complex, but I didn't really understand most of the course until a week to go - did a solid week on it and walked into the exam feeling pretty confident - and passed, so it's not too bad.

I had no trouble with CT4 or 6 - assuming you did a fairly mathematical degree I don't think you should have trouble taking these two together. In fact CT4 has been the only exam I walked out of KNOWING I'd passed.

Good luck :)

13. Approximately

Approximately Member

A couple of years back I did 2,4 and 6 in an april sitting. I passed all 3 but it wasn't pretty. CT4 is purely horrid. My fiance at the time made me promise I'd never do 3 exams together again.

On the plus side I did think that 4 and 6 really complemented each other. Remember thinking 6 was pretty handy for 8 aswell. Up to you but if you're in the line of work where hours go up with years then I'd be tempted to get CT4 out of the way while you've still got time to give it a good level of study