Ct3

Discussion in 'CT3' started by santhoshchandrasekhar, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Hi,
    I would like to know I can depend only study material and Previous question paper for CT 3 exam. Which calculator I can use the said exam.

Regds,
    Santhosh Chandrasekhar

2. Muppet

Muppet Member

I think that depends on what the "study material" is and how good you are at Stats.

There are plenty of questions in the q&a Bank, assignments and loads of papers on the web - so if you do all these then you should have enough. But I suppose it depends on whether you're getting the questions right or not.

3. Julie Lewis

Julie Lewis Member

The calculator I recommend is the Casio fx115. It does normal probabilities and linear regression, which saves you a lot of time. And I think it's easier to use than some of the more sophisticated models.

4. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Most calculators - except graphical ones the full details are given in the students handbook which can be found here but the relevant text is:

For examinations copies of actuarial tables including a list of standard formulae will be available to candidates in the examination room. Candidates may use electronic calculators in all the examinations subject to the following conditions:

(i) Candidates must provide their own calculators.

(ii) Under no circumstances should hand-held personal computers, of any description, be taken into the examination room.

(iii) Calculators must be silent, have visual display only and be battery or solar operated.

(iv) Calculators with the following functions and facilities are not permitted — data banks, dictionaries, language translators, retrieval or manipulation of text, graphics display or external communications.

(v) Any stored data and /or stored program facilities must be cleared before the calculator is taken into the examination room.

(vi) No extra time will be allowed for candidates who do not use calculators or whose calculators break down in the course of the examination.

Candidates are advised that in all calculations intermediate results should normally be shown to gain full marks.

Personally I prefer the Casio fx991-es as it does normal probabilities, trial and error solving, quadratics and simultaneous equations.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007