CT3 Notes

Discussion in 'CT3' started by High91, Jul 21, 2012.

1. High91

High91 Member

Can anybody in the forum please give me some notes on CT3. Facing real difficulties in topics like Poisson distribution, binomial distribution, etc. It would be very helpful.:eek:

2. tiger

tiger Member

3. High91

High91 Member

Any other thing I can get free of cost..??

4. tiger

tiger Member

5. bystander

bystander Member

Won't be free but a cheaper option is second hand bookshops or discount book stores.

Best time to look tends to be after the academic year finishes when people who pass often throw out their books to charity shops etc.

6. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Freund is painfully academic and quite opaque. I do recommend statspack - but I did write it! :D

The alternative is A level textbooks from the library. You'll want something like the S1, S2 and S3 books.

7. Calum

Calum Member

I found Strizacker's Elementary Probability a really sound introduction; I had a copy out of my uni library for two years straight.

To some extent, I think a lot of this material takes time to sink in. I don't feel I had a secure grip on CT3 level material until long after the course itself.

8. High91

High91 Member

Hey thanks.. Youtube videos turned out to be really useful.. Good idea.. Wherever I find difficulty in understanding any topic, I just go through a video of it on Youtube.. Its easy..!! Thanks again..:)

9. tiger

tiger Member

youtube can be hit & miss, but there are videos of lectures from top colleges.
    On a similar note MIT & Harvard are starting some online courses, with videos, forums & other online tools I believe:
    https://www.edx.org/
    I haven't tried any of the acted electronic offerings.

10. High91

High91 Member

Thank You so much for constant help, Tiger:)
    I checked out that site, but could not find any thing on our course.

11. High91

High91 Member

Hey guys, I am really not able to understand Gamma Distribution. This is something that even Youtube could not provide for. No way out. Can anybody clear this messy thing..?:confused: :confused:

12. Calum

Calum Member

We love helping [1] but "I don't understand Gamma distribution" doesn't really tell us where to start. What problem are you trying to solve and where are you getting stuck?

That said, one tip is that the relationship between the Gamma and chi-sq distribution is one that examiners are really, really keen on. A few minutes familiarising yourself with this will not be time wasted.

[1] By "love helping", I mean of course that we much prefer answering questions on here to doing real work ;)