CT3 intersect CT6

Discussion in 'CT6' started by RyuVI, Oct 16, 2006.

1. RyuVI

RyuVI Member

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to sit CT6 in April and I would really like to know: which parts/chapters of CT3 do I need to know inside out for CT6?

I gained my exemption from CT3 many moons ago and have since forgotten all the material. I have ordered the CT3 course notes but I thought it'd be more efficient to study only the necessary material as opposed to going through the entire course again.

Many thanks in advance
    Ryan.

2. Fancyme

Fancyme Member

Hello RyuVI

There is a Stats Refresher which is a tutorial that you can do anytime and is available in the Acted website at 25 pounds. They created to help people who have been exempted from CT3 and have done Stats ages ago that can't remember the stuff clearly and that it helps one to go through CT4 and CT6 with flying colours :) !!

I am writing CT6 as well, haven't looked at it, starting today though! but I have been out of varsity since 2004, I hope I will be able to work through it, if not probably order it as well.

Hope it helps!!

Cheers ;)

3. RyuVI

RyuVI Member

Thanks for the response!

I did notice that there was a Stats refresher course available but I felt my stats knowledge needed much more than just a ?refreshing?! I thought it?d be best if I just order the course notes for CT3 just to have them to hand when doing CT6.

I only started CT6 myself at the weekend; am half way through chapter 2 and already I?m turning to CT3 for reinforcement (likelihood functions). Anyways, I wish you all the best with CT6; maybe we can liaise over the boards if we get stuck. And just out of sheer nosiness, can I ask what other CTs (if any) you are sitting in April?

Thanks again for the reply; I?d appreciate input from anyone else that has completed CT6.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2010
  4. Dha

Dha Member

I sat CT6 last year. I was exempt from CT3 though, so I'm not really very familiar with the course. If you have a good knowledge of stats though I'd say just to work through CT6; you should recognise things you dont remember and know where to look them up in CT3.

5. Fancyme

Fancyme Member

Thanks everyone!!

I will be sitting for CT1 as well (CT6). I think so, when one has any questions we can discuss, I started Chapter1 yesterday didn't get far, I fell asleep!!

Doing it again this afternoon though!!

Later!!

6. RyuVI

RyuVI Member

Dha,

Thanks for your reply - that strategy you mentioned is pretty much what I am doing now. Seems to be ok so far, progress feels a bit slow though having to go back to CT3 all the time.

Anyways, I would really appreciate if you could give me an overview of CT6 as someone who has been there already. Maybe just list what chapters are most difficult or just any tips really that you learnt from already completing it. I'm sorry if I'm asking a lot it's just that I am not in an actuarial field and have no friends in the industry so I have no one else to ask. Also I'm sitting two other CTs in April so I'm trying to make my study plan as efficient as possible.

Thanks very much!

7. Dha

Dha Member

The second time series chapter is quite challenging, but it hasn't been examined in quite a while, so you could take a gamble and omit it. The section on GLMs is hard to understand, but we had a really good tutor for it. The first few chapters are relatively easy though.