Ct1 & Ct2

Discussion in 'CT1' started by boypete, Jun 24, 2006.

1. boypete

boypete Member

Taking Ct1 & Ct2

Hi all,

Am a teacher of sec. school maths and wanting to join the Acturial profession. Seems getting a trainee position is not that easy. Decided to take CT1 &/or CT2 by Sept 06 to boost my chances. Is this achievable within 2months of hard studies?

I also need some help with study materials. Please help. Suggestions welcome. thnks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2006
  2. Hi

If you are a teacher will you be able to study full time until September? If so, I would have thought it is possible to pass two if you work hard.

Do you have a maths degree? If so, I'd do CT3 because you will probably find that one easiest. If you have an economics degree, maybe do CT7?

What do you mean by this? You need to buy the materials from ActEd.

I hope that is some help.

3. boypete

boypete Member

Thx miss little Actuary. got a Maths degree. Will do CT3 as suggested and one other. Will get study material and get ready for some hardwork over the summer hols.

regards

4. Gareth

Gareth Member

you may be able to get an exemption from CT1 if you have done a lot of stats before.

5. boypete

boypete Member

Thx gareth. My Maths degree dates 1997. Been told i do not qualify for exemptions. Any ideas of resources to sharpen my maths now? will register for CT1 & CT3.

6. ActEd do FAC for people in your situation. I haven't read it, so I can't comment personally on how useful it might be. You could always just dig out your A Level notes or buy an A level book? Do you teach maths? If so, your maths is probably up to stratch anyway.

7. boypete

boypete Member

Thx for reply. Just been to FAC which covers mathematical material needed for most Core papers. Very familiar and must admit abit surprise thats all it requires. You've taken a lot of scare out of me. Thx again for being helpful.
    regards

8. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

If you teach A level maths - you won't need FAC - as the differentiation and integration will be fine for you!

If you teach A level stats - then CT3 (not CT1 as stated by Gareth) will be a good place to start. If you don't pick up an A level stats book to help with the course.

Do remember that you will need to be admitted to the Profession (which takes time) before you will be allowed to enter for the exams. Both of which are expensive (~£500 professional fees - you can claim some of this back through the tax office and ~£125 per exam). This is a priority to ensure you don't miss the exam entry deadline!

Materials can be purchased from ActEd regardless of whether you're a member of the Profession or not.

As an ex-maths teacher myself - I found the studying fine - and if you have the summer mostly free you will be fine. Feel free to email me if you have any further questions john lee .