CT 6 exam marking

Discussion in 'CT6' started by dushyant kochar, Apr 29, 2017.

1. suppose there is a question on acceptance / rejection simulation method. there are two functions that f(x) and h(x) with there parameters a and b respectively. the question is to find the value of parameter 'b' such that the whole simulation method is most efficient . So we have to find the value of 'b' such that C= MAX{f(x) / h(x)} is minimum . Now 'C' is not a function of x but i wrongly minimised 'C' as if its a function of x i.e. instead of taking the value of x at which C= MAX{f(x) / h(x)} ,I in the hurry took as if x is a variable independent of 'b' ,which was not the case. it was a 6 mark question . will i get any mark? and are marks lost for not showing your full workings even if the final answer is correct? plz reply.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  2. Yohav

Yohav Member

Hi,
    I think that to obtain the most efficient method, we had to find the value of b that give the highest value of g(y) for any x given
    (assuming that g(y) = f(x)/(C*h(x))) this mean to find the value of b such g'(b,y)=0 (first derivative according to b)
    I struggle with some arithmetics difficulties and couldn't arrive to find b,
    Hope this explanations will give at least half of the 6 marks.